You Can Build a Working Model of a 1966 Porsche 911 Engine
The only tool you need is a screwdriver.
Ever wanted to build a classic Porsche engine without the mess? If so, you’re in luck today—and you don’t even have to make a big financial investment. Franzis sells a super accurate 1:4 scale model of the 2.0-liter flat six from the original air-cooled Porsche 911.
The model comes with about 280 components, including a transparent engine casing, a full exhaust system, LED spark plugs, a real distributor, and timing “chains” (which are actually belts). You even get little head gaskets, which are completely unnecessary, since there’s no oil. When you’re done putting it together, you can run the engine on battery power and see exactly what goes on inside a real flat-six. (My favorite part is the little speaker that makes an authentic boxer engine sound when the motor is running.)
Detailed directions and a ton of screws are included. There’s no glue needed, and the only tool required to put the whole thing together is a screwdriver. Assembling this model is much cheaper, much cleaner, and probably more fun than constructing a real Porsche motor.
It’s recommended for ages 10 and up, but we have a feeling that most people who buy this are much older than 10. If there’s a kid in your life with a budding Porsche obsession or just an interest in engineering, this would be a perfect gift. Otherwise, if you’ve always wanted a working model Porsche engine on your mantle, here’s your opportunity. Now, all we need is the rest of a 911 in 1:4 size.
Check out this hypnotic video of this model being built by Flat Six Fanatics.
- RELATEDWorkshop 5001's Interpretation Of The Perfect 1973 Porsche 911Just don't call it a Singer.READ NOW
- RELATEDHow Does The New Porsche 911 RSR Engine Sound?Sounds like a back-to-back comparison between a 2016 911 RSR and the 2017 mid-engine 911 RSR is in order.READ NOW
- RELATEDPorsche 911 Turbo Takes On Acura NSX & Audi R8 V10 In The WetTop Gear's Chris Harris takes the three premier all-weather supercars for a very rainy track sessionREAD NOW
- RELATEDCar Porn: Singer-Customized Porsche 911Getting up close and personal with the sexiest cars on the internet.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch This Aircooled Porsche 911 Hustle a 997 GT3 RS Around The NürburgringHere's proof that the "talented driver" mod is the ultimate advantage.READ NOW