Driving the Lamborghini Aventador SVJ on Track: Lambo's 'Ring-Smashing Monster Proves a Delight
Lamborghini's newest supercar packs a 759-hp naturally-aspirated V12 that helps it lap the Nurburgring Nordschleife in 6:44.97—and win hearts everywhere.
Not so long ago, the words “Lamborghini” and “racetrack” were rarely used in the same sentence, unless it was “That Lamborghini kinda sucked on the racetrack.” Those days are over. Italy’s world-famous purveyor of street-going fantasies has now has delivered not one, but two Nurburgring champions in short order: the V-10 powered Huracan Performante that I tested on Italy’s Imola circuit in 2017, and the 12-cylinder Aventador SVJ that I romped this year at Circuito do Estoril, the former home of Formula One’s Portuguese Grand Prix. As for Germany's big track, the Aventador SVJ topped its Huracan stablemate with a 6:44:97 Nurburgring Nordschleife lap that, not long ago, would have seemed laughably beyond the car’s, and brand’s, abilities. How far has the Aventador come since its debut? The original 2011 model was nearly a full minute slower around the ‘Ring. Talk about a late bloomer.
That late bloomer is now a veritable Venus flytrap of sticky grip, murderous intent, and naturally, exotic looks. The 6.5-liter, naturally aspirated V12, an increasing anomaly in the industry, whips up 759 horsepower and reaches 8,500 rpm with a bloodcurdling shriek that no turbocharged engine can match. That mid-mounted V12 also brings the best power-to-weight ratio of any Lamborghini V12 since Ferruccio got out of the tractor business and began building these Italian baubles in 1963. Cold numbers include a wrenching 2.8-second dash to 62 mph (100 kph) and a 217-mph top speed.
Only 900 will be built, each priced from $518,000, along with an additional 63 copies of the SVJ 63 edition. Here’s hoping that many of those owners actually experience their SVJ’s greatness on track—even once—instead of just babying it around South Beach or Vancouver and revving the engine at stoplights.
- RELATED2019 Lamborghini Aventador SVJ First Drive: Dancing With the New King of the Nurburgring759 horses, brainiac handling, and patented aero tricks create the latest ruler in the Nurburgring's dizzying Game of Thrones.READ NOW
- RELATEDDriving a Lamborghini Aventador S Roadster Instantly Makes You FamousEver wonder what it's like to be Ryan Gosling? Just spend a couple days tooling around in an open-top, 730-horsepower Italian supercar.READ NOW
- RELATEDReport: Lamborghini Aventador SVJ Roadster Will Follow Its Fixed-Roof SiblingA legal document filed appears to giveaway the provenance of another open-top bull.READ NOW
- RELATED2018 Lamborghini Huracan Performante: 7 First Impressions From ItalyOn Italy's historic Imola circuit, the Performante supercar proves its 'Ring record was no fluke.READ NOW
- RELATEDSupercar Camping in a Lamborghini Huracan Performante: 2 National Parks, 6 Days, and 1,000 MilesAll to answer one question: How stupid is it to camp out of a supercar?READ NOW