Turns Out Making a Caprese Sandwich in an Autocrossing Subaru WRX Isn't Easy
Especially when Josh Condon is driving.
Look, if you clicked on this story—and if you're reading these words, you clearly did—then you're not here to read my words. You're here to watch the video above: Video editor Erica Lourd attempting to make a caprese sandwich while riding shotgun in a Subaru WRX as deputy editor Josh Condon—a man who Erica described as an "aggressive driver" during a previous track day—hurls the car around the Lime Rock autocross track.
For the record, I, Will Sabel Courtney, had little to no part in this messy series of events. I was on the other side of Lime Rock Park most of the day, most likely trying to wedge my comically-large limbs into the cramped back seat of a Ford Focus RS or bracing myself for an onslaught of disgusting cologne. (I may have played a role in coming up with the idea, for what it's worth, but that was it.) But I was tasked with writing up the story for this video mixing culinary skills with autocross aggression.
One caveat: As astute viewers may notice, Erica is less building said caprese sandwich in the passenger's seat than rebuilding it. Our original plan, which was to have Erica prepare a sandwich made with cold cuts and mustard, was kicked to the curb after realizing a) we didn't really want to spend a whole bunch of money on deli meats and condiments that would likely be thrown away after being splattered across the interior of a Subaru, and b) we had a leftover pesto, tomato, and mozzarella sandwich from lunch.
In the end, it only took her a couple of laps to reconstruct the sandwich in her lap. Which, admittedly, seemed like a bit of a let-down...until it turned out Erica had forgotten to open the bottle of seltzer water we also threw in the car.
- RELATEDWe Studied Distracted Driving…By Spraying Each Other in the Face With CologneWe hope you take pleasure in our pain.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe 2018 Dodge SRT Challenger Hellcat Widebody Assaults Lime Rock ParkOoooh, feel those 707-horsepower muscles, as only Detroit can build them.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe BMW M2 at Lime Rock: Still the Coupe du JourThe market has spoken: The M2 is a certified smash. But bring cash.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe 2017 Honda Civic Type R Cannot Be Unseen, But It Should Be DrivenWith 306 horsepower, the first U.S.-spec "red H" model is not to be trifled with, either.READ NOW
- RELATEDLime Rock Park Is Terrifying in the RainThe baddest bullring in the East really kicks when you drive it in a hurricane.READ NOW