Best Harbor Freight Tool Boxes: Convenient Storage for All Types of Tools
The best Harbor Freight tool boxes with durability, roomy interiors, and organized storage.
A tool box is one of those must-have essentials that absolutely everyone needs. Whether you rely on tools every day in your line of work or use tools around the house for quick fixes and repairs, you need a central, roomy destination to store all of your hand tools, loose fasteners, and tool accessories. A tool box of any kind keeps you organized, putting all of your most-used items into convenient storage compartments, pouches, and drawers. And, depending how crazy you want to get, you can find tool boxes that are small and portable or huge and stand-alone in your garage.
When you’re considering different tool boxes, you’ll want to make sure to check out Harbor Freight tool boxes. Sold at an array of affordable price points and in just about every tool box style possible, you’ll find something to suit your needs. If you’re searching for a new tool box of any kind, we’ve rounded up the best selection of Harbor Freight tool boxes available right now.
Yukon 3 Drawer Steel Toolbox
A tough metal tool box that features smooth-sliding drawers for easy reach and straightforward organization.
- Solid, sturdy construction
- Holds a number of hand tools, including screwdrivers, wrenches, and pliers
- Can be locked shut for added security
- Some models may wobble or have an uneven base
- Does not include a handle
Voyager 12 In Toolbox With Top Tray
A durable plastic tool box that’s made to be carried to job sites or absolutely anywhere, with an impressively budget-friendly price.
- Easy to access tools with a removable organizing tray
- Exterior won’t become dented or rusted over time
- Heavy-duty latch for secure closure
- Plastic is prone to cracks and fading over time and outdoor exposure
U.S. General 72 In. Triple Bank Tool Chest
A large, high-capacity metal tool box that’s built for longevity and a whole lot of different kinds of tools.
- Made out of welded steel with a rust-proof exterior coating
- Includes pre-cut non-slip liner mats
- Features side handles for carrying when needed
- Not lightweight enough to really be portable
- Very expensive
Benefits of Harbor Freight Tool Boxes
- Convenience. Most Harbor Freight tool boxes are designed to make accessing your tools convenient whether you’re at home in front of your workstation or out on a job. These tool boxes feature sliding drawers, organizer trays, and lift-up lids so you can reach in or pull out various tools, finding them even when you’re in a hurry.
- Durability. Nearly all Harbor Freight tool boxes offer great durability. Made out of materials like hard, thick plastic or welded steel, these boxes are meant to survive frequent wear and tear no matter how they’re used. Some even offer an extra protective coating.
- Versatile Options. Available in so many different sizes, shapes, weights, and even designs, Harbor Freight tool boxes give you total versatility. You can choose a tool box that’s meant to stay in one place, be carried anywhere, or even carried as a bag. These tool boxes can do it all.
- Organized Storage. One of the biggest advantages of a Harbor Freight tool box is the convenient, organized storage you’ll get. With features like drawers, trays, and small compartments, you’ll have just the right place to put tools, accessories, and more. Many can even be customized with add-ons like made-to-fit drawer organizers.
Types of Harbor Freight Tool Boxes
Steel Tool Boxes
Steel tool boxes are a classic style, and Harbor Freight offers plenty of these kinds of products. You’ll find two particular types of steel tool boxes: portable boxes with a carrying handle at the top, and stationary boxes meant to sit on a tabletop or a larger tool cart. Some offer drawers, while others have liftable lids. All steel options are extremely durable, though they can be prone to problems like dents, scratches, and even rust.
Plastic Tool Boxes
Plastic tool boxes are durable — though not as durable as steel — and yet lightweight. They’re the perfect companion when it comes to portability, as they’re easy to carry anywhere. And they can generally handle the bumps, shocks, and unpredictable challenges of working outdoors. However, plastic tool boxes do come with a drawback: They can crack over time, and they can’t survive extremely harsh use.
Fabric Tool Bags
Fabric tool bags aren’t as common, but they are a Harbor Freight option. These easy-to-carry bags enclose your tools inside tough exterior fabric, giving you shoulder straps or handles for great portability and convenience. Some can be built well, with extra layers of protection like waterproofing or water-resistance. However, fabric bags can’t carry the weight of very heavy or sharp tools without potentially developing wear or weakening.
Voyager is a solid brand within the Harbor Freight lineup of house brand names. It offers an array of different kinds of tool boxes, with products that range from small to large, portable to stationary, plastic to metal. There’s something for everyone, including the highly affordable Voyager 12 In Toolbox With Top Tray.
U.S. General is one of the top brands you’ll come across at Harbor Freight. Meant to be a more premium brand, this is the line that offers some of the biggest, heaviest, and most heavy-duty tool boxes. It’s a great brand if you’re looking for a non-portable tool box for your workstation or garage, like the U.S. General 72 In. Triple Bank Tool Chest.
As one of the most affordable brands under the Harbor Freight umbrella, Yukon offers a selection of compact and large tool boxes made out of both plastic and steel. You can find options in every size and style within this brand, including traditional and classic products like the Yukon 3 Drawer Steel Toolbox.
Harbor Freight Tool Box Pricing
- Under $10: If you want a tool box without spending a lot, you’ll find options that don’t even cost $10 among Harbor Freight’s selection. These tool boxes are smaller in size, but they still offer great functionality and storage space.
- $15 to $50: You can find everything from budget-friendly to mid-range products within this tool box price range at Harbor Freight. It doesn’t cover too many premium options, but it includes some portable and some non-portable options.
- $55 to $100: Step up to the $50 to $100 price range, and you’ll find yourself browsing some of Harbor Freight’s more premium tool boxes. These are typically small to medium in size, covering both portable hand-carry options and bigger, heavier stationary options.
- $100 and up: If you’re looking for a more premium tool box, you’ll find quite a few options at Harbor Freight. From heavy-duty steel options to complete tool carts that take up significant space, you’ll find these options in the $100-plus range.
Tough Exterior Material
There’s no feature as important on a tool box as the exterior material. It’s the only thing that protects your tools and gear from the outside elements — and from getting lost or damaged. That’s why it’s so important to choose a tool box that has a tough exterior, and one that’s made from durable material. Steel is a great choice, but if you need something lighter in weight, thick ABS plastic or poly material also holds up well.
Multiple Storage Compartments
You can’t organize your tools for convenience and accessibility if you’re just tossing them into a cavernous opening. A tool box that offers multiple storage compartments, like drawer dividers, trays, pockets, pouches, and zippered sleeves will give you just the right spaces to put items both small and large. It also ensures you’re always able to reach in and find what you need.
Locks or Latches
In order to keep your tools secure, you’ll want to choose a tool box that latches or locks in some manner. It’s common for some tool boxes — particularly steel drawer styles or large carts — to come with actual locks that work with keys. Others, however, may feature locking latches or contain the requisite space to add your own lock. Make sure to consider these security features, as you’ll want to be able to keep what’s inside the box away from accidental loss.
- Weight. If you need to be able to move or carry your tool box regularly, you’re going to want to think about how much it weighs before investing in any particular product. Metal — specifically, steel — tool boxes are very heavy, while plastic or fabric options are far lighter. Look for the lightest material you can find without sacrificing durability to achieve the best portability.
- Available Storage Space. In order to figure out which Harbor Freight tool box will suit your tools and your needs best, think about what you plan to store inside. Measure your longest or bulkiest tool and compare that to the box’s dimensions. This will ensure you have enough space for the tools you’re reaching for most often.
Best Harbor Freight Toolboxes Reviews & Recommendations 2021
The Yukon 3 Drawer Steel Toolbox is one well-rounded, highly versatile tool box — and it’s one you can get a ton of use out of. It’s durable, able to be carried or kept in your garage and can hold an impressive 100 pounds of tools in total. This classically styled Harbor Freight tool box is made out of durable steel and covered with a sleek black powder coating that resists rust. Three sliding drawers with full extension ball bearings glide smoothly, giving you slim storage space for accessories as well as hand tools like screwdrivers, wrenches, and pliers. A larger top compartment offers even more space, and it’s just the right place for your most frequently accessed tools or larger items. There’s a total of 950 cubic inches of available storage space inside.
There’s just one drawback: There are no handles, so while this tool box can technically go anywhere, it’s pretty inconvenient to carry around.
If you’re looking for a tough and capable tool box on a budget, you can’t beat the Voyager 12 In Toolbox With Top Tray. This incredibly affordable tool box won’t break the bank, and yet it offers heavy-duty construction that’ll survive plenty of different settings. Meant to be carried with you as an everyday tool box, this Harbor Freight product is made out of rugged polypropylene plastic, so it won’t dent or rust over time. It’s roomy inside, with an overall exterior size of 7 5/8 x 12 3/4 x 7 1/16 inches. And it’s quite lightweight before you add your tools, weighing just 1.5 pounds total. The tough, secure latch can be locked if you’d like — you just have to add your own lock — and a transparent lid gives you added visibility. A lift-out tote tray lets you take small parts or tools with you without moving your entire tool box.
Harbor Freight’s U.S. General 72 In. Triple Bank Tool Chest is so much more than your basic tool box. It’s a serious investment with a shockingly high price, but you’ll get a truly impressive product for what you pay. This premium product isn’t designed to be taken anywhere; it’s meant to be part of your at-home or at-work tool supply. With 16,800 cubic inches of tool storage space, a whopping 12 drawers, and a total weight of 343 pounds, it’s one big tool box. And it comes with premium details that you’ll really love.
Made out of welded steel and covered in an industrial powder-coated finish, this tool box resists rust and stays durable. It includes non-slip rubber mats inside each drawer, which protects your tools and the box itself. And the high-capacity, full extension drawer slides paired with an easy-open lid allow you to find anything you need in seconds. The chest can sit atop a U.S. General roller cabinet for even more storage space or customization.
If you want a tool box that stands out from everyone else’s, you’ll love the completely different style of the Windsor Design 8 Drawer Wood Tool Chest. While metal and plastic tool boxes are the most common, this wood tool box from Harbor Freight offers a good mix of durability and attractive craftsmanship. Made out of hardwood and finished with a walnut stain and a clear lacquer finish, this product looks quite natural. It offers eight drawers, all of which are lined with felt to protect your tools and prevent rust. A top lid opens to reveal a machinist’s safety mirror — a detail that’s especially handy if you’re fighting debris in your workspace. All of the tool box hardware is made from heavy-duty chrome-plated metal, and the tool box stands 16 x 2 x 10 5/8 inches in size.
It is, however, not a portable tool box; it weighs 20 pounds when empty and really isn’t meant to be carried anywhere.
If you’re looking for a tool box that’ll allow you to add to your storage space over time, the U.S. General Single Bank Top Tool Chest is a great starter piece. Designed to be the top tool chest that sits atop other U.S. General tool storage solutions from Harbor Freight, this product is a nice size for most people’s tools. However, if you work in your garage or are a mechanic, it’s a particularly nice option. Featuring welded steel construction and high-capacity, full extension ball bearing drawer slides, you can put tools of varying sizes inside. Eight drawers give you plenty of room, and you can stash up to 550 pounds of stuff in this tool box.
An industrial powder-coated finish prevents rust from forming, and a set of secure detents keeps drawers securely closed when you don’t need your tools. Design cues like rolled drawer edges and gas struts on the top lid enhance its functionality. Just remember that this is not a portable tool box.
The Voyager 21 In. Steel Toolbox looks like it stepped right out of the 1950s or 1960s with its clean, simple design and its steel construction. But why opt for anything fancy if all you need is a straightforward and versatile classic? This retro-looking tool box from Harbor Freight is bright red in color and made from highly durable 22/25 gauge steel with a smooth, glossy finish. Made to be kept in your car, boat, or camper, you can use it to store everyday tools or put it to work carrying tackle gear or other items. With a top handle and an extra-helpful set of built-in indented side handles, it’s easy to bring anywhere whether it’s light or heavy with your tools. A removable center tray offers a space for smaller tools and accessories, and you can easily reach in to find longer, larger tools. Spring-loaded latches give you quick security when you need it. While it doesn’t come with any frills or extras, this tool box does meet your basic needs.
Durable and sturdy yet easy to roll around your garage or workspace, the U.S. General 30 In. 5 Drawer Mechanic’s Cart is so much more than your basic tool box. It’s both a tool box and a heavy-duty service cart in one, and it allows you to bring your tools over to wherever you’re working. Featuring a built-in tool box with five smoothly gliding, full extension drawers, this product is made completely out of steel. The steel is covered in a layer of industrial powder-coated finish, which helps protect against rust and corrosion. All of the tool box drawers latch when closed so they stay shut without worry. The 5-inch casters — two of which are fixed and two of which swivel — make rolling this heavy cart easy. You’ll be able to store up to 700 pounds of tools, equipment, and more in the 15,000 cubic inches of space that this impressive cart offers.
The only drawback is that it’s so big, it isn’t a convenient option if you don’t have enough dedicated room to store it.
The Voyager Aluminum Case is a totally different kind of tool box. While all tool boxes are designed to protect whatever’s stashed inside, this particular product is great for tools that need extra cushioning or care. The exterior is made out of aluminum, with triple-riveted heavy-duty corners for added protection and durability at the points most likely to see wear and tear. Inside, the tool box is padded along every wall. That padding makes it perfect for test equipment, delicate tools or gear, or even precision tools.
Whatever needs a bit more care or gentle storage will fit comfortably inside and stay cushioned in the event of bangs, drops, and other kinds of shocks. A set of clamp-style latches lock in place when the tool box is closed. Overall, the tool box measures 11 x 4 x 7 inches and can hold up to 17 pounds of weight.
Keep in mind, however, that this tool box’s aluminum exterior may not be as tough as you need it to be on unpredictable job sites.
Need more than one tool box? You’ll want to go with the Voyager Toolbox Set, which gives you four different tool boxes at one price. These plastic tool boxes are affordable and built to offer a convenient, organized, and lightweight way to keep your tools together.
They’re particularly great for those who may not need to carry every tool each day; you can organize your tools however you’d like, dividing them up between the four different sizes. In the set, you’ll get one each of a 22-inch, 20-inch, 18-inch, and 12-inch tool box. The two larger boxes include removable clear plastic organizers, while the two smallest come with removable tote trays. All of the tool boxes are made out of rugged PVC material, which is dent- and scratch-proof. Don’t need to fill all four at once? Another nicely convenient feature of this product is the fact that all four tool boxes stack or nest inside each other.
However, these tool boxes may not offer a very long lifespan or a very secure locking system because of their plastic composition.
If you’ve found that most tool boxes can’t meet your organizational needs or wants, the Voyager 18 In. Toolbox could be just the right fit. This tool box from Harbor Freight allows you to customize how you’re storing what’s inside. It’s a fully customizable tool box, built with impact-resistant material and a flexible shock-absorbing inlay that protects all of the items inside. You can create compartments to suit your tools and gear, thanks to the included removable dividers.
A removable parts case with a lid also includes four smaller compartments for screws, nails, and more. Inside the lid, a tool bar holds your most-needed tools in place for easy access. You’ll also be comfortable while carrying this product, thanks to the comfort-grip exterior handle.
The only drawback is that this tool box is on the smaller size, so it won’t hold larger tools or power tools.
- Some Harbor Freight tool boxes are individual components within a larger set. If you want to add onto your tool box, with a cart or full drawer unit, you may want to start small both in size and price initially. Then, you can increase your tool box later on.
- Plan to put your tool box to use outdoors? Look for one that’s protected, either with waterproofing or with anti-rust and anti-corrosion material.
- If you can’t find a locking tool box that meets your needs, keep in mind you can always add a lock of your own. Many come with their own lock holes built in already.
Q: Are Harbor Freight tool boxes any good?
Harbor Freight’s various tool boxes are highly-rated and well-reviewed by customers. They get particularly high ratings for their quality at their affordable pricing, which means they offer a good balance between being a smart investment and reliably lasting with use.
Q: Why are Harbor Freight tool boxes so cheap?
Harbor Freight doesn’t actually sell any big-name tool box brands, so all of the products are made by the company itself. This means the retailer can essentially cut out the middleman, offering tool boxes that are lower in price yet still well-constructed.
Q: What do Harbor Freight tool boxes offer?
Harbor Freight tool boxes come in every size and style imaginable. You can find options in all kinds of materials, in every size, and in various configurations — including whole tool box systems that can suit your garage.