Best Jeep Soft Tops: Enjoy the Fresh Air in Style
Enjoy the fresh air with ease and comfort with these stylish Jeep soft tops.
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
If you drive a Jeep, you have the choice between a hard top and a soft top. The great thing about soft tops is that they're generally easier to remove and install and don't take up a lot of storage space in your garage or shop. If you're riding around topless and it's about to rain, you can quickly put the soft top back on to avoid a downpour from ruining the interior. This isn't possible with a hard top. Plus, many soft tops are much more affordable than their hard top counterparts, depending on the make and model. If you're unsure which soft top is best for your Jeep, check out our buying guide below with some of the best options available.
Bestop Black Diamond Trektop NX Glide Convertible Soft Top
- Side windows are zipperless, and you can slide them off by hand
- Has a flip-back roof panel
- Comes with easy-to-reach storage shelves to store phones and more
- May take a few hours to properly install
- Air may catch in the top and cause a loud noise when driving with it folded down
- Top also comes with a frame that may block off certain areas of the Jeep
Smittybilt Black Diamond OE Style Replacement Top
- Comes with 30-mil DOT 31 percent tinted windows
- Fabric is a strong 135-gauge thread that resists mold, mildew, and tears
- May not hold up to a large amount of rain, and water may leak inside if there is a torrential downpour
- Not the quietest Wrangler soft top when driven at high speeds
Smittybilt Soft Top OEM Replacement With Tinted Windows
- Top is fade- and stretch-resistant and comes with self-correcting zippers for ease of use
- Has reinforced corners and is good quality overall
- Windows aren't as good quality as the factory top
- Can be louder than your Jeep's original top
- Installation can also be challenging
Benefits of Jeep Soft Tops
- Protect the interior. While many Jeep owners enjoy removing the top completely, this practice can leave the contents of your interior vulnerable to the changing weather, such as rain, which can cause damage to your belongings. A soft top is also a good way to ward off UV rays that can potentially damage the dashboard and other areas in your Jeep.
- Express yourself. Installing a Jeep soft top is a great way to demonstrate your personal style. They are available in various colors, configurations, and materials, so you can customize your ride and make it stand out from the rest.
- Added security. When you park your Jeep for an extended period of time without a top on it, it can be a playground for thieves. Fortunately, you can lock the zippers in place on a soft top, so it's difficult for a criminal to break inside. Soft tops are also a little challenging to remove for the uninitiated, who may not want to deal with the hassle of stealing your belongings.
Types of Jeep Soft Tops
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.Learn more
Framed Jeep soft tops come with a frame that attaches to the top arch bar of the vehicle to support the weight of the material. The frame can be a sturdy aluminum or come in a durable metal form. They will generally be more expensive and heavier, and they tend to take up more space due to the many crossbars crisscrossing through the Jeep.
Jeep soft tops without a frame are much less structured than their framed counterparts. Instead of a frame they use rails that attach to the roll cage and hold the material snugly. These tops are generally a little less sturdy than framed tops, but they provide a good amount of room for the interior.
Founded in 1956 by Basil Smith out of a garage in Compton, Calif., the company designs equipment for Jeeps. Products it specializes in are aftermarket winches, seat covers, lighting, and tops. One of its soft tops is the Smittybilt Black Diamond OE Style Replacement Top.
Created by Tom Bradley in Boulder, Colo., in 1954, Bestop is known for making quality Jeep tops. Now located in Louisville, Colo., the company creates soft tops for Jeep Wranglers and CJ models. One popular soft top the company designs is the Bestop Black Diamond Trektop NX Glide Convertible Soft Top.
Sierra Offroad is part of the GAHH Automotive umbrella and produces high-quality replacement soft tops for the Jeep Wrangler. GAHH Automotive has been in business since 1979, and Sierra Offroad is based in North Hollywood, Calif. We recommend the Sierra Offroad TJ 2003-06 Factory Style Soft Top with Tinted Windows.
Based in Buford, Ga., Rampage Products creates a variety of products for Jeeps, trucks, SUVs, and UTVs. Whether you need road or trail gear, this company has you covered. Plus, its products meet original equipment specifications, so you know you're getting good-quality components. Check out the RAMPAGE PRODUCTS Frameless Trail Top for 1997-2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ.
Jeep Soft Top Pricing
- Under $300: Less-expensive soft tops are fairly basic in construction. These replacement tops generally don't have a frame, so they won't be as long-lasting as a framed top. Plus, they typically have just one function and can't be converted into a safari bikini top, for example.
- $300 and up: Here is where you will find full-framed soft tops built with stronger and thicker fabric to withstand tears and rips. They will generally come with more features that make them easier to remove. These range from easier-to-access zippers or windows that slide out without the use of zippers.
One of the most important features to consider when choosing a soft top is the quality of the material. It needs to be durable enough, so it will do its job for several years. Whether you drive on road or off, you need a long-lasting soft top that will withstand the elements. The last thing you want is for the top to fail when you're on the trail or driving at highway speeds. Choose a top from a well-known brand made from thick, durable materials, such as twill fabric, denim, or sailcloth.
It's vital that you check compatibility when purchasing a new soft top because they are manufactured to fit particular models. Make sure to check the specifications, so the top fits properly. Jeep soft tops are not universal, so it's important that you have the right information on hand when placing an order.
Ease of Use
Some soft tops are easier to install and remove than others. It's particularly important to choose a product that is simple to put on because you may need to do so quickly if the weather changes. Some locations are prone to sudden downpours, and you need a soft top that you can rapidly put in place. The top should also be relatively simple to assemble and remove.
- Climate. While you can drive in the winter with a soft top, it can be rather chilly if everything isn’t zipped tightly closed. It may be best to make sure the Jeep is well insulated if you plan on driving when it is cold out.
- Lifespan. It's worth investing a little more in a high-quality soft top that lasts a long time versus a cheaper version that fails after a short period of use. If you notice that the fabric is starting to tear or generally wear down, then it's a good idea to consider a replacement.
- Style. This all depends on your personal choice, but if you value the look and feel of your Jeep, then you should match the soft top with the style of your Jeep. This can be as easy as matching the colors or using the same brand as you do with other parts of your vehicle.
- Storability. If you have a hardtop or don’t want to drive the Jeep with all of the windows stored inside the vehicle, you will need a place to store the top. It is capable of being packed away in a small space, but you need to ensure the place is breathable so the fabric doesn’t get stiff or shrink.
Best Jeep Soft Tops Reviews & Recommendations 2021
If you want a complete soft top with a lot of extra additions, this Bestop is designed with convenience in mind. The kit includes the soft top fabric, window panels, and the factory bow for fast installation. One of the most unique and best features about this top is its zipperless functionality. You can slide off all of the windows by hand without having to struggle with zippers or risk breaking them off. This makes it quick and efficient to get the top off and on.
The black diamond fabric is durable, thick, and holds tight to the Jeep to prevent it from blowing around in the wind. Every window comes with a 40-mil tint with full-perimeter, heat-sealing capabilities to keep you cool in the summer. As an extra bonus, if you want that open-air driving experience, you can flip back one roof panel to make a sunroof without taking the whole thing off. Plus, the top comes with easy-to-reach storage shelves to store phones and other items.
Unfortunately, it may take as many as four hours to properly install it for the first time. Another downside is when it is folded down, air may catch in the top and cause a loud noise when driving. The top also comes with a frame that may block off certain areas of the Jeep and make things more difficult when entering or exiting. Also, it sticks up a bit from the back and is not flush with the rear door when it’s folded down.
This replacement Jeep soft top comes with heat-sealed seams to prevent leaking of cold air from the inside and hot air from the outside. It also comes with wick stop threads that seal stitch holes to prevent air from seeping through the fabric. The top is a 23-ounce, multilayer press textured marine-grade fabric that makes it durable, thick, and strong.
The windows are made up of a 30-mil DOT 31-percent tinted glass to cut down on the amount of sunlight that breaks through. You can access, remove, and attach the windows by using the built-in nylon zippers. That mixed with the strong 135-gauge thread makes this top resistant to mold, mildew, and tears.
While it is a sturdy soft top, it may not hold up to a large amount of rain, and water may leak inside if there is a torrential downpour. It is also not the quietest Wrangler soft top when you drive at high speeds. The material will blow around, making a bit of noise, while the zippers can also rattle around.
The Smittybilt Soft Top OEM Replacement With Tinted Windows is designed for use with the 2010-2016 Jeep Wrangler JK with four doors. The top is constructed of marine-grade, long-lasting vinyl. It features heat-sealed seams, so you don't have to worry about leaks, and wick stop threads are used to seamlessly close the stitch holes.
Smittybilt tops are less likely to fade and stretch over time, making them a popular option among enthusiasts. The top has self-correcting zippers, so they are easier to open and close. The side and rear windows are built with DOT-approved materials, and you can remove them for more airflow. In addition, the rear corners are reinforced for added strength, and it's a perfect fit for compatible Jeeps. Overall, it's good quality, and it holds up well over time.
Unfortunately, there have been some complaints that the windows aren't the best quality. Also, it may be slightly louder than the factory top, and it can be a little difficult to install.
This is the replacement soft top for 2003-06 TJs with factory frames. The top is built to factory specs and has DOT-approved windows and heavy-duty oversized zippers that self-correct to ensure smoother operation. The black diamond and khaki diamond options are the TJ's original material and are made of a two-ply medium weight and waterproof composite.
The seams are heat-sealed so they don't leak, and the top is UV-resistant. The Velcro, thread, webbing, and door seals are built to factory specs, and the top is made from one bolt of material to ensure the grain and color are evenly matched. The instructions are easy to follow, the top fits perfectly, and it's reasonably priced.
However, the top will not fit the Unlimited with a longer wheelbase, and it does not come with the required hardware. Also, over time, you may notice a film on the windows or they can start to crack. The top may also be noisy at highway speeds.
Honorable MentionSierra Offroad Jeep Wrangler TJ (1997-2006) Factory Style Soft TopCheck Latest Price
This soft top is available in denim black, denim spice, and sailcloth black and is designed for the 1997-2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ. Denim was the 1997-2002 original material, while sailcloth was the 2007-13 original material.
The denim is marine-grade vinyl that is designed to prevent fading. The top is high-quality, the window zippers are smooth and tough, and the price is right. It is very easy to install, and the tinted windows look great. The color holds up well over time, and the top is very durable even if you frequently put it on and take it off.
One of the biggest complaints is that the top may not match up to the screws and fasteners on your particular TJ, so you may need to make holes in a few places. It can also be a little tight on the corners during installation. In addition, the windows tend to get hazy over time.
This soft top is designed for 1997-2002 TJs. The multi-ply sailcloth fabric is UV-resistant, and many prefer it to traditional fabric because it doesn't wrinkle as easily, it's quieter, and it provides more insulation. The kit includes soft top fabric, DOT-approved windows, and upper door skins (if required).
The top is quick and easy to install and is built to factory specs. It works with your Jeep's existing hardware. The top fits the OEM frame perfectly, the material is tough, and it does not flap in the wind. It stretches in all directions while you're putting it on and off, yet it stays taut while you're driving. The tinted windows also look really good and are very clear.
One problem is that it may hold water in the center front top area. Also, if you don't install it correctly, it can sag between the header and middle bow. Another issue is that the directions don’t do enough to show the exact way to attach the top to the header.
Honorable MentionRAMPAGE PRODUCTS Frameless Trail Top for 1997-2006 Jeep Wrangler TJCheck Latest Price
Rampage's top fits 1997-2006 TJs and is constructed of heavy-duty fabric with tinted, DOT-compliant windows. The top fits over the factory roll bar, and no additional bows or support hardware is required. The seams and windows are weather-resistant to keep rain out, and anti-puddle poles keep water from pooling on the top.
This top is easy to install, and it's also simple to remove the windows and store them in the included storage compartment. The material and straps are thick, and overall it's very good quality. Another advantage with this brand is that customer service is quick to send replacement parts if there's an issue with the top.
However, the top requires an aftermarket windshield channel, soft top door surrounds, and a tailgate bar, which can be purchased separately if it's replacing a hard top. The zippers may also break after a short period of time, and the straps can fail prematurely.
This Rampage soft top fits 2007-18 four-door JKUs. It works as a full soft top and a Safari top if you remove the side and rear windows. It features an accordion flip-back design, so you can open it with one hand while you're inside the Jeep. It's made of heavy-duty, 32-ounce sailcloth, and it's resistant to mold and mildew.
The top is made of high-quality material, feels very sturdy, and is fairly quiet. The windows are oversized for more visibility, and there are overhead pockets to store the windows when they're not in use. The top seals well, and the anti-puddle rods do not stick up too high and work great. The top comes with all the required hardware, such as door surrounds, tailgate bars, and rear anti-puddle bars.
However, it can be tricky getting the rear wind jam panel edges to stick in the door jam. Also, the roll bar pads are exposed to the elements in the back and may get wet in the rain. Another problem is the instructions aren't the greatest, but there are some good installation videos online.
- Before installing a new soft top, it's a good idea to remove it from the packaging and let it sit for several hours, preferably in the type of weather in which you will be installing it. The material will stretch and loosen slightly, which will make it easier to conform to the curves of your Jeep.
- To ensure your top fits properly, set it out for a few hours in the weather you will be installing it in. This will allow it to stretch and conform naturally so you don’t struggle to loosen it yourself.
- To ensure a comfortable and secure fit to your Jeep and to prevent it from tearing, find a soft top that fits snuggly. When in doubt, you can consult with the manufacturer to see if they have a sizing chart.
- Keep in mind the type of conditions you will be driving in. Use a more durable one if you plan on hitting off-road trails, or you may want one with easy-to-remove windows if you drive a lot during the summer.
Q: How do I find out if a soft top fits my Jeep?
Jeeps come in several models, so check the owner's manual or contact the manufacturer to ensure you have the right specifications before placing an order. Most soft tops fit specific model years and body styles. Tops are designed for YJ, CJ, TJ, and JK models. Other products cater to the Unlimited or Rubicon.
Q: How do I wash a Jeep soft top?
It's not difficult to wash a soft top. First, rinse it clean with water, and then use a soft cloth with soap to clean it. Avoid using harsh brushes because if you apply a lot of force you may harm the material. Many manufacturers include cleaning instructions, so make sure to follow the directions for the best results.
Q: Can I attach a hardtop with a soft top on?
No, you will not be able to put on a hardtop with a soft top attached. You should completely remove the soft top before installing the hardtop to ensure you don’t break or damage any components.
For a durable and versatile Jeep Wrangler soft top, check out the Bestop Black Diamond Trektop NX Glide Convertible Soft Top.
If you’re looking for a more budget-friendly option, the Smittybilt Black Diamond OE Style Replacement Top is a great top that looks good and is simple to install.
MORE TO READ
Best Jeep Winches: Add More Power to Your Off-Road Journeys
Pull your Jeep, truck, or SUV out of any predicament with these tough winches.
Best Retractable Tonneau Covers: Secure Your Truck Bed
Secure your truck bed with these top retractable tonneau covers.
Best Tonneau & Truck Bed Covers: Add Some Protection to Your Truck Bed
The best tonneau covers to protect your truck bed from the outside world.
Best Jeep Wrangler Accessories: Add Your Own Style
Upgrade the look of your Jeep Wrangler with these top accessories