We may earn revenue from the products available on this page and participate in affiliate programs. Learn more ›
If you smoke while driving, a car ashtray is essential to your safety and to prevent any littering on the roads. Fortunately, there’s a range of products made from heat-resistant materials that easily slip into a cup holder or on your dashboard. Appearance isn’t essential to the ashtray’s practicality, but it’s always a good idea to have a product that enhances your vehicle’s interior. We’ve selected high-quality products that are easy to attach and will keep odors at a minimum.
Big Ant Solar Powered Lighting Detachable Car Cigarette Ashtray
This ashtray emits a cool blue LED light at night and is charged using solar power. It has a removable liner and is made of fireproof material.
It's small, yet features a wide mouth and large interior space for cigarette butts. The light is just bright enough so you can see the ashtray when it's dark.
It may wobble in some cup holders due to its small base. It requires sunlight to charge, and the charge may not last very long.
Custom Accessories Smokeless Ashtray
No LED light is included, making it difficult to see when it’s dark. The lid can be difficult to detach for emptying and cleaning.
AUTOBAN Luxury Leather Ashtray
Benefits of Car Ashtrays
- Convenient. When you're on your way to work or running errands, you don't always want to wait until you stop to have a cigarette. The best portable car ashtray allows you to smoke when and where you want.
- Affordable. Car cup holder ashtrays are not very expensive. You may pay slightly more for higher-quality products, but in general they cost less than $20, which is well worth the investment if you're a frequent smoker.
- Great accessory. Older cars come with built-in ashtrays, but most modern vehicles don't have them as a standard option. If you want to smoke in your car, you need to buy an aftermarket device to accommodate your needs.
- Added freedom. These days, smoking is prohibited in many places. Many public places have smoking bans, but you can take as many puffs as you want in the confines of your car.
Types of Car Ashtrays
This type of ashtray is designed to reduce smoke in the car’s cabin. Some are pretty basic, while others feature a carbon filter that eliminates smoke or use a fan to clear the smoke from the air surrounding the device. If you smoke a lot in your vehicle or travel with nonsmokers who don't like cigarette odor, then this type of ashtray is ideal.
Electronic/Blue LED Light Ashtray
Some ashtrays emit a cool blue light when you open and lift the lid. This enables you to safely dispose of cigarette ash at night and in low-light conditions so it doesn’t flay around. Another benefit with these ashtrays is that many of their lids are designed to keep odor from lingering and spreading. Some also feature built-in lighters.
RoadPro, based in Palmyra, Pennsylvania, has been manufacturing automotive supplies, travel gear, and a variety of accessories for truckers for over 30 years, including the RoadPro X-Large Self-Extinguishing Ashtray.
Custom Accessories is headquartered in Richmond, Illinois. Founder Abe Matthew started this automotive accessories business over 40 years ago, and it's still family-owned. Its products include car covers, floor mats, license plate frames, and the Custom Accessories Smokeless Ashtray.
Big Ant Car Accessories
Big Ant is based in Charlotte, North Carolina. The company focuses solely on accessories for your car, such as seat covers, sun shades, dashboard covers, and the Big Ant Ash-Black Car Cigarette Ashtray Portable Auto Vehicle With Blue LED Light.
Car Ashtrays Pricing
- Under $5: You can purchase a very basic car ashtray for just a few bucks. These ashtrays feature simple designs and don’t have any added features or frills.
- $10-20: Most car ashtrays cost around $15, but you can find brands that are a little cheaper or a little more expensive. These units may feature blue LED lights, stainless steel construction, and smokeless features, depending on the brand.
The good news is that most portable car ashtrays are made in a standard size to fit in a vehicle's cup holder. However, some are larger than others, so make sure to check the dimensions before making a purchase. Also, lighter ones may have a higher propensity to tip over, which can cause a giant mess.
Car ashtrays are usually made of two types of materials: stainless steel and plastic. You may think that cigarettes could melt plastic ashtrays; however, they feature very thick, heavy-duty plastic that makes them impervious to the heat generated from cigarette butts. Some ashtrays have plastic exteriors and stainless steel interiors.
As we noted earlier, some ashtrays feature a fan to remove the smoke from the air. Others feature built-in lighters or LED lights that allow you to see the unit in the dark. These ashtrays are powered by either a battery or an adapter that plugs into your vehicle. Check to see what type of power source you want before making an investment. Also, check to see if the battery is replaceable.
All car ashtrays should be fireproof. Still, you want to make sure that the product is built with high-quality materials that can withstand the heat generated from cigarette ash. Look for brands that are made of high-density fireproof materials that are non-flammable. You and your vehicle's safety is paramount.
- Removable Liner: Some portable ashtrays feature liners that you can remove. They are typically made of metal, and you simply slide them out of the ashtray to clean them. The benefit is that you can remove gunked-on ash that may contain lingering odors. The easier it is to clean the ashtray, the better your car will smell.
- Design: There are many different types of car ashtrays on the market, so pay attention to the design if you want to narrow down your choices. Some people prefer simple units that blend into the car’s interior, while others want more classy and luxurious designs (some even feature leather accents). Ultimately, the type of ashtray you choose is a personal preference.
- Multipurpose: The best butt buckets can be used in your car as well as in other areas of your life. Many are portable and useful at home and in the office. A few brands hold cigarette ash and also double as garbage containers and serve as receptacles for discarded fruit peels and paper scraps.
Best Car Ashtrays Reviews & Recommendations 2020
- Consider the ashtray’s power source. Some require batteries, while others require electricity from your car’s battery. There are some top-of-the-range products that use solar power to generate the ashtray’s light.
- You’ll need to clean the ashtray, so choose one that’s easy to clean. This includes a lid that’s easy to remove and an easy-to-pour design.
- Consider the ashtray’s height, as this determines if you can dispose of a lengthy cigarette or just a cigarette butt.
Q: Should you store the ashtray on the dashboard or cup holder?
A: If you regularly use your cup holder for essentials or a drink, opt for a dashboard ashtray, as this can reduce any wasted room. Placing the ashtray on a dashboard makes it easier to dispose of the cigarette while driving, but you’ll need a clip-on for installation.
Q: Do the materials make a difference?
A: Yes! Always choose heat-resistant materials and thick plastics to prevent any unwanted fires in your vehicle. For a durable ashtray, choose one with stainless steel on the exterior to prevent any damage.
Q: What other features should I look for?
A: If you often smoke while driving, it’s useful that the ashtray has a rest for the cigarette should you need to suddenly put it down. Some ashtrays are universal and designed for all vehicles, so consider if you want one that’s easy to remove from the cup holder for portability.
We rate the Big Ant Solar Powered Lighting Detachable Car Cigarette Ashtray as our top pick because it uses non-flammable materials for optimal safety.
Alternatively, opt for the Custom Accessories Ashtray if you’re on a budget. This product doesn’t require a charging port and reduces interior smoke smells.
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.Learn more