LAST UPDATED: November 13, 2019
Best Car Cup Holders: Take Your Favorite Drinks on the Road
Avoid mess and spills in your car with these top car cup holders
The Review Team
How We Decided
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
PUBLISHED ON November 13, 2019
Almost every car has a built-in cup holder for your favorite beverage. Many, however, are awkwardly positioned or too small for some cups and bottles. They might even be unsecured and cause inconvenient liquid spills. To avoid a mess in your vehicle, you can upgrade your cup holders with aftermarket ones. Check out the top three in this buying guide.
The Swigzy is a versatile cup holder suitable not only for cars but also motorcycles, boats, trucks, and RVs. It's made of sturdy and durable ABS plastic, fits perfectly, and mounts in a breeze. Keeps cups and bottles secured in your vehicle, preventing spills.
- Expandable base fits most car models
- Rubber tabs on the sides prevent cups from tipping over and make the holder easy to mount and detach
- Empty slot on the side accommodates cups with handles
- Fits most cups and bottles with a capacity of 32 to 40 ounces
- Might be too tight or shallow for some bottles
- Top silicone ring is not the best quality and feels flimsy
The Bottle Pro is a simple yet effective car cup holder. It holds cups and bottles securely to prevent slips and ensures a more comfortable ride. Thanks to the lightweight and convenient design, it can also be used for home and office purposes.
- Features a soft fit foam sleeve for more versatility
- Combined with a three-ring adjustable base, it ensures a tight fit with most vehicles
- Holder is made of sturdy and durable materials
- Easy to mount and detach from a vehicle
- Perfect for cups and bottles with a capacity of 32, 36, or 40 ounces
- Not deep enough for taller bottles
- Some wobbling could occur
- Adapter might pop off when removing the cup
Smart Kup is a convenient car cup holder with a classy black finish. It's suitable for most vehicle types, not just cars, and it holds different cup and bottle types. The sturdy construction makes it stable and ensures a long lifespan.
- Tapered base ensures a snug fit for most car models
- Extra-deep upper cup accommodates tall cups and bottles
- Comes with a cut on the side for cups with handles
- Made from high-quality ABS plastic and features a charcoal coating
- Designed for bottles from 32 to 40 ounces
- Some adjustments needed for a perfect fit
- Opening is wider compared to standard holders
- Might cause smaller and narrower cups to wobble
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Best Car Cup Holders Reviews & Recommendations 2021
Constructed of high-quality ABS, the Swigzy Car Cup Holder can be used in cars and RVs, as well as on boats, golf carts, and motorcycles. The base extends from 2.5 to 3.75 inches, so it can fit in a variety of different-sized cup holders. It accommodates bottles that are 3.4 to 3.8 inches in diameter, including Hydro Flask or Yeti bottles that hold 32 to 40 ounces. The device holds onto your beverage using firm rubber tabs, yet it's easy to remove the bottle when you need a drink. Plus, it has a slot on the side if you choose to insert a mug with a handle on it. Users report that the Swigzy holds bottles snugly in place even during spirited driving. The manufacturer also provides a one-year warranty should you experience any defects with the product.
However, it may be too large for some users and may block controls on the center console. Also, it may be too tight for some bottles, and the silicone ring isn't very good quality.
The BottlePro Adjustable and Extendable Cup Holder Adapter is specially designed to hold 32- to 40-ounce bottles made by brands such as Hydro Flash, Nalgene, Yeti, etc. The three-ring base fits most vehicle cup holders and has fewer moving parts than many other brands, so it's less likely to break. It comes with a soft foam sleeve for a better fit and to prevent it from scratching or damaging your vehicle.
Another great thing about this cup holder is that it stays in place and won't tip over even during sudden stops. The company also provides a no-risk guarantee and a refund should you experience any issues.
One downside is that it does not work with 20- or 30-ounce Yeti Ramblers or 14-ounce Yeti mugs. Another drawback is that it's not deep enough for some tall bottles, and they can wobble. Also, the adapter may pop out of the cup holder when you remove your beverage.
Like some other options on this list, the SMART KUP Car Cup Holder can hold 32- to 40-ounce Hydro Flask, Nalgene, and other large bottles with diameters up to 3.8 inches. It's made of strong ABS plastic, fits in most vehicle cup holders, and has a 3-inch upper lip that prevents it from tipping over when you make turns (many other brands have shorter, 2-inch lips with less protection). The holder also features a 1-inch cutout, so you can insert mugs and other cups with handles. Overall, users are impressed by its design, construction, durability, and capacity to hold big bottles.
Unfortunately, you may need to make some adjustments for a perfect fit. In addition, the opening is wider compared to standard holders, and it might cause smaller and narrower cups to wobble when you're driving.
The Camco Adjustable Drink Holder is a bit different from the other products on our list, as it's an actual cup holder, not a cup holder adapter. You don't need an existing cup holder for it to work. Designed for cars, trucks, RVs, vans, boats, and more, such as fitness bicycles and porch swings, this cup holder can accommodate a variety of different bottles and cans. It's easy to mount using tape or screws and features arms that adjust to the size of the beverage. What makes it unique is that you can fold it up when it's not in use. Those who have installed one in their vehicles note that the mount is solid and feels secure and overall is very useful. It also comes in a range of colors, from black to brown.
One downside is that it won't fit a 40-ounce, 3.75-inch diameter Yeti bottle or other large bottles. Also, if you're not careful with the cup holder, it may break.
If the other options on this list don't suit your needs, you may want to consider the Iokone Side Pocket Leather Cover Car Cup Holder. What's unique about this plastic and cowhide leather cup holder is that it fits between the seat and the center console and is a great option if you drive a vehicle without any cup holders, such as a small sports car. Available in black, grey, or beige, it's designed to blend in with most vehicle interiors. It features two cup holders as well as an extra storage pocket for items such as a smartphone, wallet, coins, gloves, etc. The two cup holders have three cup outlines to fit a variety of different bottles and mugs.
Overall, it's very sturdy, stylish, well-made, and appears more expensive than it is.
One drawback is it's not ideal for larger bottles as they have a tendency to wobble. It may also wear out easily in hot temperatures.
- Pick the correctly-sized cup holder. It should fit your car perfectly and accommodate your favorite cups and bottles. One that’s too small will prevent you from storing everything you want, while one that’s too big will most likely cause problems with spilling.
- Consider the material used in the cup holder construction. Thicker material ensures more stability on the road and therefore prevents spills. It might also be easier to clean.
- As simple as cup holders seem, they can have several extra features. For example, the best ones have extendable bases for more stability or adjustable height for easy use.
- Pick a cup holder that is easy to mount and detach from your vehicle. Also, a cup holder shouldn't require too much effort when it comes to overall maintenance and cleaning.
Q: What are the benefits of an aftermarket cup holder?
In most cases, it’s more stable. When a built-in cup holder is too small, big, or flimsy, it's not able to hold a cup or a bottle securely. That could lead to spills that are not only hard to clean but also dangerous. A fallen cup can distract a driver and jeopardize their safety on the road. Also, most aftermarket holders are easier to use and maintain.
Q: How do I clean a car cup holder?
You can clean it by using soap and water, vinegar, or a commercial cleaner. In each case, you'll need a clean cloth to wipe off the dirt. Use warm water with soap for light cleaning and vinegar if you want to disinfect a cup holder. If you're dealing with an extra dirty holder, try soaking it in water for a few minutes. You can also use small detailing brushes for stubborn stains and residue.
Q: What are the most common types of car cup holders?
They are divided into categories according to the mounting options. The most popular type is an adapter or a holder with a base that adapts to the console. The second type requires permanent mounting with screws or adhesive tape. The third type is a hanging one, and it uses a hook or other method to attach to the car window.
The Swigzy Car Cup Holder made it to the top of our list. It’s a versatile cup holder suitable for most vehicle types.
A less pricey option is the Bottle Pro Car Cup Holder, which is designed for easy use and more comfort on the road.