Best RV Water Pumps: Improve Your RV’s Water Flow System
Improve the flow of water throughout your RV system with our top choices for the best RV water pumps
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
Water is an essential part of an RVing adventure; you need to bathe and stay hydrated while on the road. That’s the main function of an RV water pump, as it supplies water for the shower, sink, toilet, and other amenities. If your water pump is clogged or broken, then it may be time to replace it with a new RV fresh water pump. Let’s have a look at some of the best RV water pump replacements you might want to consider the next time you are shopping for one.
Affordable. Comes with a built-in thermal protector. Easy to install and use. High efficiency with low current draw. Comes with soft rubber mounts for noise reduction.
Not recommended for heavy-duty use. Might start leaking after a few months of use.
Quiet RV water pump. Durable product made with corrosion-resistant properties. Top performance and reliability.
Comes with subpar packaging. Lower water output compared to other models in the same category.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of an RV Water Pump
- Constant water supply. Have you ever traveled in an RV without a reliable water supply? It makes you feel uncomfortable. That’s why you need a reliable water pump so you won’t have to worry about stepping out to get water. Keep your tanks filled with enough water and the pump will ensure your taps will never run dry.
- Save on space. Compared to other larger water pumps, RV pumps are smaller and lighter. It’s possible to get a high-pressure RV water pump that doesn’t take up a lot of space in your recreational vehicle.
- Energy efficiency. With an RV water pump, you will not have to worry about electricity or water bills. Some of these gadgets can efficiently run on the RV’s battery. Other pumps draw their power from an electrical outlet, but most are either 24 volts or lower and won’t spike your electricity bills.
- Simple installation. Unlike the more complex pumping units that might require complicated steps to install, RV water pumps are easy to install. A simple look at the manual will give you what you need to connect the pump to start pumping water to your faucet, tap, shower, and toilet.
Types of RV Water Pumps
12-Volt RV Water Pumps
A 12-volt water pump for a camper trailer comes with standard motors that are engineered for home and RV use. A low voltage typically means that the pump will not consume a lot of electrical power. However, it also means that the unit won’t have high water pressure.
24-Volt RV Water Pumps
24-volt RV pumps have higher water pressure and take a toll on your RV’s power. They are typically installed in trailers, buses, and trucks. The main benefit of a high-voltage water pump is that it can be used for heavy-duty tasks. If well maintained, the pump can have a long lifespan.
SHURFLO is an international company that manufactures water pumps and equipment for recreational vehicles. The company was founded in 1968 and is headquartered in Costa Mesa, Calif. It produces some of the best RV water pumps, including the SHURFLO Revolution Water Pump.
Seaflo is a company that specializes in the research, design, and manufacturing of micro-pumps, pressure systems, and blowers, among many other products. The company was established in 2014 and has a legion of loyal consumers all over the world. Seaflo manufactures some of the most affordable RV water pumps, such as the Seaflo 21 Series Water Pressure Pump 12V.
FLOJET Corporation is a company that manufactures water pumps and their accessories. This company was founded back in 1975 and is currently headquartered in Foothill Ranch, Calif. The company offers a range of pumps like the Flojet 03526-144A.
Flow Max manufactures and distributes fluid handling equipment such as RV pumps, spares, and service tools among other power tools. The company was established in 1993 and sells its products all over the world. It’s headquartered in Cape Town, South Africa and offers high-quality pumps such as the Flow Max (PGIXD) DS-01230-D2.
RV Water Pump Pricing
- Below $50: Most pumps within this price range deliver a pressure that often falls below 3 gallons per minute. Some units can go as low as a gallon a minute. Though they are cheap, they can still meet the user's water needs. They are ideal for smaller recreational vehicles.
- $50-$100: Pumps within this range can give you a steady flow of 3 gallons per minute. Some of these units can go as high as 4.5 gallons per minute as well. Most pumps here are suitable for standard RV units with moderate water use.
- $100 and up: An RV pump that falls within this range is considered a high-end unit. Most pumps typically come with over 60 PSI and can deliver more than 5.5 gallons of water per minute. Due to the high pressure and steady water flow, the pumps are great for bigger recreational vehicles that might have more water needs.
There are 12-volt and 24-volt models. Your choice will depend on the amount of water you need pumped and the size of the RV. Keep in mind that a lower voltage is more manageable as it draws less power from the system. A higher voltage translates to high performance, but it could drain your RV’s battery or generator.
The pump’s pressure (gallons per minute) should match your RV needs. Consult your RV’s owner’s manual to determine what GPM is ideal for your vehicle. If you are on a budget or operate a small to medium-sized RV, go for a pump with a pressure of at least 1 gallon per minute. For larger RVs with greater water needs, go for a water pump with a capacity of 5 gallons per minute.
Automated Pump Cycle
A good pump should stop pumping automatically once the preset values are achieved. It should also start pumping once the pressure goes below the preset value. This brings about a seamless operation that won’t need constant management. It also eliminates any plumbing problems that may arise from constantly running a pump.
- Noise Level: There are models that can be quite loud when running. That might not be something you want when you are taking a nap in the RV. Choosing an RV water pump that runs quiet is a good idea if you don’t want to suffer through the noise of a loud pump.
- Self-Priming: Unlike traditional residential water pumps, RV pumps are tailored to handle receiving water from a limited water source. The self-priming feature allows your pump to lift water from the tube despite the supply of water running low. Also, the pump won’t get damaged even when it’s running dry.
Best RV Water Pump Reviews and Recommendations 2020
- If you want to give your RV plumbing system a longer life, you may want to install a water pressure regulator. High pressure may damage your RV’s water pipes; a water pressure regulator will keep the pressure in check and protect your plumbing system from damage.
- Consider pairing your RV water pump with a high-quality water filter. With a functional filter, you can be sure that your water is clean as long as you constantly check on the condition of the filter. It will keep you from drinking contaminated water.
- Perform routine checks on your pump and the entire water system. Seal any leaks as the trickling water may trick the pump to perform a pump cycle when the faucets are shut off. Have a professional check your pump occasionally to ensure that it’s in great condition.
Q: What causes a water pump motor failure?
A: The issue may be due to a blown out fuse, which is easily replaceable. It may also be due to a worn out battery. In that case, turn off the motor’s master switch and change the battery. In the worst-case scenario, the motor could have died due to wear from extended use. You may have to replace the motor then.
Q: What are on-demand pumps?
A: An RV on-demand water pump is a unit that pumps water when needed. The pump puts pressure on the water system according to the preset PSI. The pump will continue pumping as long as a tap is open and stop when the tap is shut off.
The SHURFLO Revolution Water Pump is our top pick because it combines durability, efficiency, and reliability. The pump comes with user-friendly features and offers quiet operation.
If you are on a tight budget, you might want to check out theSeaflo 21 Series Water Pressure Pump. It is an affordable pump from a reliable company that offers efficient, smooth operation.