LAST UPDATED: May 16, 2019
Best Octane Boosters: Get Peak Performance and Efficiency with Every Fill-Up
The best octane boosters for maximum efficiency and performance
The Review Team
How We Decided
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
PUBLISHED ON May 16, 2019
Car owners often feel overwhelmed when it comes to car maintenance. There are too many products to purchase to keep your car running fine. Octane boosters serve a lot of purposes. The higher the octane number, the more compression fuel can stand before it detonates. Buying the best octane booster will help your vehicle better higher efficiency, a smoother running engine, improved performance, as well as enhanced fuel compression. If you are not sure about which product is best for your vehicle, don’t panic, we have compiled a guide to help you get the best octane booster for your vehicle.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Octane Boosters
- Boost engine performance. Octane boosters work to improve fuel compression in your engine before detonation. As a result, the power of the vehicle’s engine is enhanced for higher efficiency.
- Increase horsepower. Your engine needs high octane levels to run your engine efficiently. Increasing the compression ratio of high octane fuel will also increase the horsepower of a vehicle.
- Help reduce emissions. Octane boosters help reduce emissions that eventually drive away carbon build-up in the engine. Too much carbon build-up in your vehicle’s engine could lead to poor performance and even stalling.
- Prevent engine knocking. Engine knocking is caused by the pre-ignition of the fuel and air mixture in your vehicle’s cylinder. Using octane boosters in the right amounts will help your car’s engine run correctly, limiting the chances of damaging your engine through excess knocking
Types of Best Octane Boosters
Fuel octane contributes to the stability of the vehicle’s fuel under compression. For instance, a higher-octane rating will indicate that you get better resistance to detonation and engine knock. Purchasing an octane booster will help give your vehicle protection from low octane issues. It will also improve the vehicle’s overall engine efficiency, making sure that the fuel in the cylinder ignites the way it needs to. Adding an octane booster to the engine will ensure that your car is getting the best fuel grade for maximum output and power.
When fuel is left stagnant in the car for more than 30 days, it begins to break down into several components as it becomes stale. This process makes it vulnerable to contaminants that will eventually lead to engine problems. Fuel stabilizers have antioxidants that help break down fuel, keeping it in good shape for much longer. Stabilizers are used to protect your engine from stale fuel without having to drain it. They also help protect the vehicle’s engine from structural damage and corrosion that often result from solidified fuel.
Klotz Synthetic Lubricants Inc.
Klotz Synthetic Lubricants Inc. was founded back in 1959. The lubricant company manufactures synthetic racing oils, aerosols, and power additives. Klotz also produces racing lubricants, gear oil, and gasoline. One of its popular products is the Klotz Higher Octane Booster.
Torco Racing Fuels
Torco is an American-owned motor oil company founded in 1950 by Bob Lancaster. The company was formed after Lancaster invented the first ever 20w50 racing oil in 1948. Torco manufactures all sorts or races car lubricants including racing fuels, additives, accelerators and apparel. One of its popular products is the Torco F500010TE Unleaded Fuel Accelerator.
STP is an American-owned motor oil company. The name began as an abbreviation of Scientifically Treated Petroleum. STP was previously owned by Armored AutoGroup that belongs to Spectrum Brands. STP deals in the manufacture of automotive aftermarket products such as lubricants, motor oil, and motor oil additives. One of its popular products is the STP Octane Booster.
Best Octane Booster Pricing
- Under $30: There are a variety of octane boosters retailing at this price. However, most of the engine octane boosters at this price range will only offer basic functionality. Depending on the manufacturing company, octane boosters at this price range are popular due to their low price and basic performance.
- $30-$50: The best octane boosters can be found in this price bracket. These octane boosters have much better composition and can be used for a wide range of applications including fuel system cleaning, increasing fuel octane level, and preventing engine damage from knocks.
- Over $100: There aren’t a lot of octane boosters in this price bracket. However, octane boosters at this range are premium products manufactured with the highest-quality ingredients for superior performance. They can be used for multiple applications, have good ratings, and offer the best results.
Octane Points Added
Depending on the Octane booster product you purchase, each will raise your fuel’s rating to a particular degree. If you are looking to get your vehicle to a very high-performance rating, you will need to shop for an octane booster that offers this. In most cases, it translates to high costs.
There are several ways to obtain the desired octane boosting effect. Quite a few chemicals will be able to achieve the same result, but unique effects normally accompany each other. It’s important to check this information before buying an octane booster since it could affect your vehicle.
Before you settle for the best octane booster, you need to consider the type of vehicle you own and the type of engine it runs. Different engines have different requirements. Make sure you get the right gasoline octane booster for your vehicle.
- Frequency of Use: Before buying a particular octane booster product, it is important to consider how frequently you need to use it and what effect it will have on your vehicle in the long-run. Keep in mind that the octane booster is not a product to use for a single time. Costs can be recurring.
- Performance: It is important to check if the octane booster you are buying will provide the required boost to suit your particular needs. Depending on the manufacturer, different metrics will be used to advertise their products. However, the best indication of how the product will perform on your vehicle is the octane number.
Best Octane Booster Reviews & Recommendations 2020
Torco’s accelerator has the capability of significantly raising your octane of premium fuel. For instance, you can get 91 octanes to 102 octanes by using a 32-ounce bottle with 10 gallons of gas. In case you are using a 32-ounce bottle with 5 gallons of fuel, expect 105-octane performance with this product.
Torco High Octane accelerator has been specially designed to be highly effective and will not harm your catalytic converters or your O2 sensors. Using this concentrated formula will also help improve your horsepower.
One drawback to this quality product is that it can be extremely difficult to store since the concentrated formula is very sensitive to light. It also needs careful handling, as its exposure to skin might lead to irritation. Despite its high functionality, the Torco High Octane accelerator is pricey and is also not suitable for old or two-stroke engines.
The Rislone octane booster is designed to increase the fuel's octane rating and put a stop on engine knocking and pinging. It's an efficient product that maintains the engine at peak power and increases its efficiency. You can use it on both gasoline and ethanol engines, from cars and trucks to lawnmowers.
One of the best things about this product is the ease of use. Thanks to the user-friendly nozzle, you can easily pour the liquid in all fuel tanks. Also, a bottle of this octane booster can treat up to 20 gallons of gasoline. That's pretty impressive, especially considering how inexpensive this product turns out to be.
The main drawback of this product is the incompatibility with some engine types. The product doesn't work on diesel engines, but that's not all there is. It also might fail to show improvements in the overall performance of some gasoline and ethanol engines. The reasons for this possible failure are unknown.
Royal Purple Max Booster is one of the best-rated octane boosters on the market. What makes it so special is a powerful formula that can raise the octane rating to 30 points. That's quite impressive, and the results show almost immediately.
Among the other things, this octane booster enhances the overall engine performance and reduces knocking and pinging. It stabilizes the fuel and reduces emission, while still being perfectly safe for the engine.
Keep in mind that Royal Purple Max Boost is a racing formula, which means it's not street legal. Also, the powerful and thick liquid might stain the surfaces, so carefully handle the product to avoid accidental spills. On top of that, avoid exposing the product to sunlight and store it in a dark and dry place.
Lucas Oil products are a must-have when it comes to overall vehicle maintenance, especially for DIY mechanics and handypersons. The company offers reliability, efficiency, and durability, and things are no different with this particular octane booster. The product features a powerful formula that increases the octane numbers up to 35 points and improves vehicle performance to an impressive level.
Although this octane booster features a powerful formula, it's still completely safe for the vehicle. It's suitable for fuel-injected and carbureted engines, promoting clean fuel burn and reducing emissions. It also prevents knocking and pinging. All in all, the Lucas Oil octane booster is an efficient product that will show improvements in your engine's performance rather quickly.
One of the drawbacks of this product is the longevity. You might need to get and pour at least two bottles of the liquid before it starts to show improvements. Be aware, however, that the liquid might leave some thick orange residue if you pour more than needed. Try to dose the amount accordingly.
This is another Lucas Oil octane booster worthy of your attention. It's a quality product designed to promote clean fuel burn, boost octane rating, and reduce emissions. You can use it for fuel-injected and carbureted engines.
The main benefit of this product comes from the fact that you'll get more boost for less cash. It's a budget-friendly option sold in packs of 12 bottles. You can use it for regular maintenance for months and keep your vehicle's engine in perfect condition. Also, the product is safe for long-term use and won't damage your vehicle—just make sure to use it on gasoline engines.
The product is not street-legal and has questionable efficacy. While some users are thrilled with the overall results, others didn't notice any real improvements even after prolonged use. Also, keep in mind that you'll be buying a pack of 12 bottles. You'll have a stock of this product whether it works or not.
BOOSTane Professional Octane Booster is a popular product that proves to be very efficient in protecting and improving the engine. The product works against knocking and pinging and improves fuel's octane rating. It also stops emissions and corrosion.
The BOOSTane octane booster is rather versatile and works with all gasoline engines. It increases the octane rating up to 116 and comes in a bottle of 32 ounces. A little of this liquid goes a long way, so you can maintain your engine for quite some time with only one bottle. The results show quickly after the first uses, mostly in the form of smoother and safer rides.
The main downside of this product is the price, so it's not suitable for those who are on a tight budget. The pack of four bottles is more cost-efficient but still quite pricey. Also, despite the company's claims, the octane booster might leave an orange coating on the spark plugs.
This is a versatile and efficient product that boosts octane rating and restores horsepower. It also cleans the fuel intake system and prevents engine knocking and pinging. Basically, Johnsen's octane booster helps improve overall engine performance and ensures safe and comfortable rides.
The product comes in a convenient bottle that is easy to use and fits most standard and capless fuel tanks. You can pour it in a breeze and use it regularly, ensuring your engine stays at peak power all the time. Additionally, on top of being an octane booster, this product is also a fuel system regular cleaner, and it won't damage your vehicle.
What could be the drawback with this product is the price. A bottle of 12 ounces turns out to be rather pricey, especially considering that it might not be sufficient in the long term. Some users also noticed that the overall engine improvement is not that impressive at first, and might take quite some time to see results.
- Check your vehicle’s octane level before settling on a product. This information can be found in your vehicle’s owner’s manual or underneath your gas cap. This value will let you know the recommended octane level your vehicle needs to perform well.
- It is important to give your vehicle’s computer system time to adjust after using the additive. If you are looking to boost your vehicle’s performance for a track event, start using the product several weeks before.
- Octane boosters are highly volatile, flammable, and toxic. It’s important to be cautious around them. If possible, avoid storing this product when not in use.
- Before you set out to buy an octane booster, it’s important to find out when you shouldn’t use the product. For instance, octane boosters are not a substitute to fuel stabilizers or any other all-around fuel treatment products.
- For the best results, make sure you pour in the octane booster before filling your fuel tank. Wait until your fuel level is low before using the product.
Q: How does octane affect engine performance?
A: The higher the octane level in fuel, the more compression, and heat that fuel can handle before detonation. Increasing the compression will give a bigger explosion within the cylinder, improving the performance.
Q: What do octane numbers mean?
A: The octane rating is the fuel’s ability to prevent pre-detonation or combustion before the spark plug is ignited. The higher the octane number, the more compression the fuel can withstand before igniting or detonating.
Q: What is the proper way to use octane boosters?
A: While different products will have different ratings, octane boosters are best used at every fill-up. In case you are preparing for a situation where maximum peak performance is required, make sure you start using the product weeks before the event.
Our top pick for the best octane booster is the Torco F500010TE Unleaded Fuel Accelerator. This octane booster is a high-quality product that can be combined with other additives and works well in a wide variety of engine setups.
If you are looking to get something that offers more value at a reasonable price, check out the Rislone Super Concentrated Octane Booster.