Best Octane Boosters: Your Car Deserves Peak Performance And Protection
Maximize your vehicle’s efficiency and performance with these top-notch octane boosters.
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Lisa Conant / LAST UPDATED ON October 12, 2021
When it comes to improving your car's performance and protecting it from untimely damage, an octane booster can make a world of difference. In case you're unfamiliar with octane boosters, they're designed to improve your engine's stability under compression by increasing the octane rating of the fuel you're getting at the pump. This contributes to cleaner performance, as well as protecting your engine from untimely wear and tear. Ideally, octane boosters are used every time you fill up your vehicle. Octane boosters work over time to thoroughly affect your engine and provide you with maximum performance.
If you're in the market for a new octane booster, we've got you covered with our in-depth review of some of the best octane boosters on the market. Our handy buying guide will teach you exactly what to look for to ensure you're getting a top-quality additive that won't let you down.
Premium-quality race fuel concentrate. The blend can be customized depending on the user’s requirements. Has the capability of raising fuel octane level to 102. Highly effective and will not harm your catalytic converters or your O2 sensors.
- Can be added to other additives to create a customized blend
- Capable of servicing a wide range of engines
- Off-the-chart efficiency and octane levels
- Safe to use on most oxygen sensors and catalytic converters
- Offers a clean fuel burn
- Its sensitivity to light makes it difficult to store
- Could cause irritation if exposed to skin
- Pricey for regular use
- Not suitable for old or two-stroke engines
A top-quality octane booster that won’t break the bank. It will clean damaging deposits that decrease your car’s horsepower and reduce knocking and pinging.
- One bottle is capable of boosting up to 42 gallons of gasoline
- Straightforward and easy to use
- Compatible with most cap-less fuel systems
- This octane booster is not for use with diesel engines
- Many motorcycle users report not noticing any improvement in performance with this particular product
Royal Purple offers a powerful octane booster that raises the octane rating to 30 points. It's powerful, efficient, and the improvements show after only a few uses.
- Formula enhances the overall engine performance, reducing knocking and pinging
- Stabilizes the fuel, reduces emissions, and cleans the deposits
- Completely safe for the vehicle engine
- Not street-legal
- Might stain the surfaces and shouldn't be exposed to sunlight
- Must be stored in a dry and dark place
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Octane Boosters
- Boost engine performance. Octane boosters work to improve fuel compression in your engine before detonation. As a result, the power of the vehicle’s engine is enhanced for higher efficiency.
- Increase horsepower. Your engine needs high octane levels to run your engine efficiently. Increasing the compression ratio of high octane fuel will also increase the horsepower of a vehicle.
- Help reduce emissions. Octane boosters help reduce emissions that eventually drive away carbon build-up in the engine. Too much carbon build-up in your vehicle’s engine could lead to poor performance and even stalling.
- Prevent engine knocking. Engine knocking is caused by the pre-ignition of the fuel and air mixture in your vehicle’s cylinder. Using octane boosters in the right amounts will help your car’s engine run correctly, limiting the chances of damaging your engine through excess knocking
Types of Best Octane Boosters
Fuel octane contributes to the stability of the vehicle’s fuel under compression. For instance, a higher-octane rating will indicate that you get better resistance to detonation and engine knock. Purchasing an octane booster will help give your vehicle protection from low octane issues. It will also improve the vehicle’s overall engine efficiency, making sure that the fuel in the cylinder ignites the way it needs to. Adding an octane booster to the engine will ensure that your car is getting the best fuel grade for maximum output and power.
When fuel is left stagnant in the car for more than 30 days, it begins to break down into several components as it becomes stale. This process makes it vulnerable to contaminants that will eventually lead to engine problems. Fuel stabilizers have antioxidants that help break down fuel, keeping it in good shape for much longer. Stabilizers are used to protect your engine from stale fuel without having to drain it. They also help protect the vehicle’s engine from structural damage and corrosion that often result from solidified fuel.
Klotz Synthetic Lubricants Inc.
Klotz Synthetic Lubricants Inc. was founded back in 1959. The lubricant company manufactures synthetic racing oils, aerosols, and power additives. Klotz also produces racing lubricants, gear oil, and gasoline. One of its popular products is the Klotz Higher Octane Booster.
Torco Racing Fuels
Torco is an American-owned motor oil company founded in 1950 by Bob Lancaster. The company was formed after Lancaster invented the first ever 20W-50 racing oil in 1948. Torco manufactures all sorts or races car lubricants including racing fuels, additives, accelerators and apparel. One of its popular products is the Torco F500010TE Unleaded Fuel Accelerator.
STP is an American-owned motor oil company. The name began as an abbreviation of Scientifically Treated Petroleum. STP was previously owned by Armored AutoGroup that belongs to Spectrum Brands. STP deals in the manufacture of automotive aftermarket products such as lubricants, motor oil, and motor oil additives. One of its popular products is the STP Octane Booster.
Best Octane Booster Pricing
- Under $30: There are a variety of octane boosters retailing at this price. However, most of the engine octane boosters at this price range will only offer basic functionality. Depending on the manufacturing company, octane boosters at this price range are popular due to their low price and basic performance.
- $30 to $50: The best octane boosters can be found in this price bracket. These octane boosters have much better composition and can be used for a wide range of applications including fuel system cleaning, increasing fuel octane level, and preventing engine damage from knocks.
- $100 and up: There aren’t a lot of octane boosters in this price bracket. However, octane boosters at this range are premium products manufactured with the highest-quality ingredients for superior performance. They can be used for multiple applications, have good ratings, and offer the best results.
Octane Points Added
Depending on the Octane booster product you purchase, each will raise your fuel’s rating to a particular degree. If you are looking to get your vehicle to a very high-performance rating, you will need to shop for an octane booster that offers this. In most cases, it translates to high costs.
There are several ways to obtain the desired octane boosting effect. Quite a few chemicals will be able to achieve the same result, but unique effects normally accompany each other. It’s important to check this information before buying an octane booster since it could affect your vehicle.
Before you settle for the best octane booster, you need to consider the type of vehicle you own and the type of engine it runs. Different engines have different requirements. Make sure you get the right gasoline octane booster for your vehicle.
- Frequency of Use. Before buying a particular octane booster product, it is important to consider how frequently you need to use it and what effect it will have on your vehicle in the long-run. Keep in mind that the octane booster is not a product to use for a single time. Costs can be recurring.
- Performance. It is important to check if the octane booster you are buying will provide the required boost to suit your particular needs. Depending on the manufacturer, different metrics will be used to advertise their products. However, the best indication of how the product will perform on your vehicle is the octane number.
Best Octane Boosters Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- Check your vehicle’s octane level before settling on a product. This information can be found in your vehicle’s owner’s manual or underneath your gas cap. This value will let you know the recommended octane level your vehicle needs to perform well.
- It is important to give your vehicle’s computer system time to adjust after using the additive. If you are looking to boost your vehicle’s performance for a track event, start using the product several weeks before.
- Octane boosters are highly volatile, flammable, and toxic. It’s important to be cautious around them. If possible, avoid storing this product when not in use.
- Before you set out to buy an octane booster, it’s important to find out when you shouldn’t use the product. For instance, octane boosters are not a substitute to fuel stabilizers or any other all-around fuel treatment products.
- For the best results, make sure you pour in the octane booster before filling your fuel tank. Wait until your fuel level is low before using the product.
Q: How does octane affect engine performance?
A good octane level ensures that fuel in your engine’s cylinders ignites when it’s supposed to so it can provide maximum engine performance. It contributes to greater stability under compression to decrease engine knocking and pinging.
Q: What do octane numbers mean?
The octane rating is the fuel’s ability to prevent pre-detonation or combustion before the spark plug is ignited. The higher the octane number, the more compression the fuel can withstand before igniting or detonating.
Q: What is the proper way to use octane boosters?
The ideal way to use an octane booster is to add it to your car’s fuel tank on every fuel fill-up. Some people only choose to use it a few weeks before a big race or event when peak performance will be critical, but its effects are maximized with prolonged and continued use.
When it comes to the best overall octane booster, we love the Torco F500010TE Unleaded Fuel Accelerator. This octane booster can serve a wide range of engines and boost your car’s octane levels as high as 102. It’s also compatible with oxygens sensors and catalytic converters. For a budget-friendly option that still delivers high-quality, reliable results, consider STP Octane Booster.