Best Octane Boosters: Get Peak Performance and Efficiency with Every Fill-Up
The best octane boosters for maximum efficiency and performance
The Review Team
How We Decided
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links.Read more.
PUBLISHED ON May 16, 2019
Car owners often feel overwhelmed when it comes to car maintenance. There are too many products to purchase to keep your car running fine. Octane boosters serve a lot of purposes. The higher the octane number, the more compression fuel can stand before it detonates. Buying the best octane booster will help your vehicle better higher efficiency, a smoother running engine, improved performance, as well as enhanced fuel compression. If you are not sure about which product is best for your vehicle, don’t panic, we have compiled a guide to help you get the best octane booster for your vehicle.
- Best OverallTorco F500010TE Unleaded Fuel AcceleratorSummarySummaryPremium-quality race fuel concentrate. The blend can be customized depending on the user’s requirements. Has the capability of raising fuel octane level to 102. Highly effective and will not harm your catalytic converters or your O2 sensors.ProsProsCan be added to other additives to create a customized blend. Capable of servicing a wide range of engines. Off-the-chart efficiency and octane levels. Safe to use on most oxygen sensors and catalytic converters. Offers a clean fuel burn.ConsConsIts sensitivity to light makes it difficult to store. Could cause irritation if exposed to skin. It's pricey for regular use. Not suitable for old or two-stroke engines.
- Best ValueSTP Octane BoosterSummarySummaryThis is a two-in-one product with the capability of boosting octane levels. Can be used as a fuel system cleaner. Manufactured with horsepower and acceleration boosting properties. Designed for compatibility with systems that don't have a gas cap.ProsProsAffordable with convenient packaging. Fuel intake system cleaning capability. Safe to use in four-stroke engines. Available in a variety of sizes. Compatible with cap-less gas systems.ConsConsNot suitable for two-stroke engines. Not as good as competitor products in the market. Comes in a small-capacity bottle. Only does the bare minimum.
- Honorable MentionKlotz Higher Octane BoosterSummarySummaryMultipurpose octane booster with the capability of absorbing moisture from internal engine components. Contains a Tetraethyl lead substitute for enhanced lubricity. High octane rating gains. Great for cleaning fuel injectors and carburetors. Packaged in 16-ounce and 1-gallon bottle options.ProsProsAffordable fuel additive. Compact packaging. Can be used for a variety of application from lawn mowers to cars. Available 1-gallon bottle for extended usage. Improves fuel economy. Promotes lubricity and maintains steady fuel burn. Cleans fuel injectors and carburetors.ConsConsWill damage your vehicle’s paint if accidentally spilled. Getting the right fuel-to-octane booster ratio is a bit tricky. This formula works best with small-sized engines. Drips a lot when using the 1-gallon bottle.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, and practical experience with each product we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Octane Boosters
- Boost engine performance. Octane boosters work to improve fuel compression in your engine before detonation. As a result, the power of the vehicle’s engine is enhanced for higher efficiency.
- Increase horsepower. Your engine needs high octane levels to run your engine efficiently. Increasing the compression ratio of high octane fuel will also increase the horsepower of a vehicle.
- Help reduce emissions. Octane boosters help reduce emissions that eventually drive away carbon build-up in the engine. Too much carbon build-up in your vehicle’s engine could lead to poor performance and even stalling.
- Prevent engine knocking. Engine knocking is caused by the pre-ignition of the fuel and air mixture in your vehicle’s cylinder. Using octane boosters in the right amounts will help your car’s engine run correctly, limiting the chances of damaging your engine through excess knocking
Types of Best Octane Boosters
Fuel octane contributes to the stability of the vehicle’s fuel under compression. For instance, a higher-octane rating will indicate that you get better resistance to detonation and engine knock. Purchasing an octane booster will help give your vehicle protection from low octane issues. It will also improve the vehicle’s overall engine efficiency, making sure that the fuel in the cylinder ignites the way it needs to. Adding an octane booster to the engine will ensure that your car is getting the best fuel grade for maximum output and power.
When fuel is left stagnant in the car for more than 30 days, it begins to break down into several components as it becomes stale. This process makes it vulnerable to contaminants that will eventually lead to engine problems. Fuel stabilizers have antioxidants that help break down fuel, keeping it in good shape for much longer. Stabilizers are used to protect your engine from stale fuel without having to drain it. They also help protect the vehicle’s engine from structural damage and corrosion that often result from solidified fuel.
Klotz Synthetic Lubricants Inc.
Klotz Synthetic Lubricants Inc. was founded back in 1959. The lubricant company manufactures synthetic racing oils, aerosols, and power additives. Klotz also produces racing lubricants, gear oil, and gasoline. One of its popular products is the Klotz Higher Octane Booster.
Torco Racing Fuels
Torco is an American-owned motor oil company founded in 1950 by Bob Lancaster. The company was formed after Lancaster invented the first ever 20w50 racing oil in 1948. Torco manufactures all sorts or races car lubricants including racing fuels, additives, accelerators and apparel. One of its popular products is the Torco F500010TE Unleaded Fuel Accelerator.
STP is an American-owned motor oil company. The name began as an abbreviation of Scientifically Treated Petroleum. STP was previously owned by Armored AutoGroup that belongs to Spectrum Brands. STP deals in the manufacture of automotive aftermarket products such as lubricants, motor oil, and motor oil additives. One of its popular products is the STP Octane Booster.
Best Octane Booster Pricing
- Under $30: There are a variety of octane boosters retailing at this price. However, most of the engine octane boosters at this price range will only offer basic functionality. Depending on the manufacturing company, octane boosters at this price range are popular due to their low price and basic performance.
- $30-$50: The best octane boosters can be found in this price bracket. These octane boosters have much better composition and can be used for a wide range of applications including fuel system cleaning, increasing fuel octane level, and preventing engine damage from knocks.
- Over $100: There aren’t a lot of octane boosters in this price bracket. However, octane boosters at this range are premium products manufactured with the highest-quality ingredients for superior performance. They can be used for multiple applications, have good ratings, and offer the best results.
Octane Points Added
Depending on the Octane booster product you purchase, each will raise your fuel’s rating to a particular degree. If you are looking to get your vehicle to a very high-performance rating, you will need to shop for an octane booster that offers this. In most cases, it translates to high costs.
There are several ways to obtain the desired octane boosting effect. Quite a few chemicals will be able to achieve the same result, but unique effects normally accompany each other. It’s important to check this information before buying an octane booster since it could affect your vehicle.
Before you settle for the best octane booster, you need to consider the type of vehicle you own and the type of engine it runs. Different engines have different requirements. Make sure you get the right gasoline octane booster for your vehicle.
- Frequency of Use: Before buying a particular octane booster product, it is important to consider how frequently you need to use it and what effect it will have on your vehicle in the long-run. Keep in mind that the octane booster is not a product to use for a single time. Costs can be recurring.
- Performance: It is important to check if the octane booster you are buying will provide the required boost to suit your particular needs. Depending on the manufacturer, different metrics will be used to advertise their products. However, the best indication of how the product will perform on your vehicle is the octane number.
Best Octane Booster Reviews & Recommendations 2019
Best Overall: Torco F500010TE Unleaded Fuel Accelerator
Torco’s accelerator has the capability of significantly raising your octane of premium fuel. For instance, you can get 91 octanes to 102 octanes by using a 32-ounce bottle with 10 gallons of gas. In case you are using a 32-ounce bottle with 5 gallons of fuel, expect 105-octane performance with this product.
Torco High Octane accelerator has been specially designed to be highly effective and will not harm your catalytic converters or your O2 sensors. Using this concentrated formula will also help improve your horsepower.
One drawback to this quality product is that it can be extremely difficult to store since the concentrated formula is very sensitive to light. It also needs careful handling, as its exposure to skin might lead to irritation. Despite its high functionality, the Torco High Octane accelerator is pricey and is also not suitable for old or two-stroke engines.
Best Value: STP Octane Booster
The STP Octane booster gets the best value pick since it is a two-in-one product. It can also be used as a fuel system cleaner. The STP Octane booster was designed with the car enthusiast in mind. It is an ideal product if you are looking to buy a safe octane booster that you can use time and again. What sets this product aside from the rest is its ease of use.
The STP Octane booster is an ideal choice since it efficiently performs most functions of a good octane booster. It will help generate more horsepower and acceleration while at the same time keeping your fuel injection system clean. This octane booster is not as concentrated as other engine performance additives, which makes it safe to use regularly on any car. It’s also been designed to be compatible with gas systems that don’t incorporate a cap.
A drawback to this octane booster is that it does the bare minimum compared to other popular products in its range. It will also not increase the octane fuel levels as much as some other products on the market. The STP Octane booster comes in a small capacity bottle.
Honorable Mention: Klotz Higher Octane Booster
Klotz octane booster is a favorite among car enthusiasts due to its ability to increase gasoline octane levels up to 10 numbers. You will only need 1 ounce of Klotz per gallon of unleaded gasoline to enjoy higher MPG. This octane booster works by improving the overall efficiency and performance of your engine.
This high-performance octane booster modifies the flash point and burns speed of gasoline, maximizing performance power and creating a stable combustion chamber flame front. Klotz octane booster is available in a 16-ounce and a one-gallon bottle option and works best for ethanol or gasoline-enriched fuels.
A drawback to this product is it will penetrate the clear coat and ruin your vehicle’s paint if accidentally spilled. It's also tricky trying to get the fuel-octane booster ratios right for first-time users. The booster works best with small engines.
- Check your vehicle’s octane level before settling on a product. This information can be found in your vehicle’s owner’s manual or underneath your gas cap. This value will let you know the recommended octane level your vehicle needs to perform well.
- It is important to give your vehicle’s computer system time to adjust after using the additive. If you are looking to boost your vehicle’s performance for a track event, start using the product several weeks before.
- Octane boosters are highly volatile, flammable, and toxic. It’s important to be cautious around them. If possible, avoid storing this product when not in use.
- Before you set out to buy an octane booster, it’s important to find out when you shouldn’t use the product. For instance, octane boosters are not a substitute to fuel stabilizers or any other all-around fuel treatment products.
- For the best results, make sure you pour in the octane booster before filling your fuel tank. Wait until your fuel level is low before using the product.
Q: How does octane affect engine performance?
A: The higher the octane level in fuel, the more compression, and heat that fuel can handle before detonation. Increasing the compression will give a bigger explosion within the cylinder, improving the performance.
Q: What do octane numbers mean?
A: The octane rating is the fuel’s ability to prevent pre-detonation or combustion before the spark plug is ignited. The higher the octane number, the more compression the fuel can withstand before igniting or detonating.
Q: What is the proper way to use octane boosters?
A: While different products will have different ratings, octane boosters are best used at every fill-up. In case you are preparing for a situation where maximum peak performance is required, make sure you start using the product weeks before the event.
Our top pick for the best octane booster is the Torco F500010TE Unleaded Fuel Accelerator. This octane booster is a high-quality product that can be combined with other additives and works well in a wide variety of engine setups.
If you are looking to get something that offers more value at a reasonable price, check out the STP Octane Booster. It helps improve engine performance while reducing and eliminating knocks and pings in the engine.