Best Fuel Additives: Maximize Your Fuel Efficiency with These Top Picks
These fuel additives are among the best and perform well in all gasoline vehicles
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links.Read more.
PUBLISHED ON January 31, 2020
Even though your vehicle needs gasoline, fuel can leave deposits that can damage your vehicle’s system. Fuel additives will not only maximize fuel efficiency but also prevent and fix many problems. If you want to avoid rough idling, stumbling, weak acceleration, and stalling, then you should consider getting a fuel additive for your vehicle. To help you make an informed choice, here are some of the best fuel additives available on the market today.
- Best OverallLUCAS LUC10013 Fuel TreatmentSummarySummary
This fuel additive is formulated for both gas and diesel engines. It features strong compounds that clean and lubricate the fuel system for maximum performance. It has a blend of additives that gives the fuel system maximum efficiency.ProsPros
It can be used in vehicles that require leaded fuel because it substitutes the benefits of lead in gasoline. It also increases the lifespan of injectors and pumps. What’s more, it increases the power of your vehicle by burning excess exhaust emissions.ConsCons
It contains chemicals that can be harmful to the environment. Slight contact with this additive causes skin irritation.
- Best ValueStar Tron Enzyme Fuel TreatmentSummarySummaryThis Star Tron Enzyme improves fuel economy while also reducing emissions. It ensures the entire fuel delivery system remains clean for enhanced performance. It removes all carbon deposits and can stabilize the gasoline for two years.ProsProsThis product will help your engine start easily and run smoothly. It is also a solution to the fuel ethanol problem. It is economical and one bottle can treat up to 48 gallons of oil.ConsCons
It cannot be sold in some parts of the country, such as Catalina Island. This chemical is also harmful when ingested.
- Honorable MentionStar Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment ConcentrateSummarySummaryThis additive is multifunctional and uses unique enzyme technology to enhance fuel efficiency. It features a universal formulation that can be used with any engine or any fuel. Also, it perfectly cleans the fuel delivery system, which aids in fuel economy.ProsProsThis additive cures and prevents ethanol fuel problems for better engine performance. It stabilizes gasoline for up to two years. This chemical is not harmful to your system in case of an overdose.ConsCons
Its bottle does not allow for spill-free pouring. It is also the most expensive on this list.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, and practical experience with each product we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
- When fuel additives come in contact with your skin or eyes, wash them right away. If you swallow the fuel additive, see a physician as soon as possible.
- To get the best out of your fuel additive, always use it on an empty tank or just before your next refill. This is because these chemicals work well before combustion.
- To ensure that your vehicle’s engine is well-protected, use the right amount of additive and refill as necessary.
Q: Will fuel additives damage my car?
A: Fuel additives are harmless to vehicles. You can rest easy knowing that your vehicle will be safe and perform better. However, you should be careful when using engine cooling system additives that are meant to plug leaks.
Q: Do fuel additives increase mileage?
A: Using additives does not result in an increase in gas mileage. However, this does not make them worthless. They reduce carbon monoxide emissions, remove water in the fuel and get rid of any deposits that can harm your engine. This ensures your vehicle stays safe and your engine stays strong.
Q: When should I add the additive?
A: Gas treatments work best when they are added to the fuel tank first, before combustion. This means if you want to add a fuel additive, you should do so before you add any more gas to your vehicle. Just put in the recommended amount even if your tank is not empty.
We recommend the LUCAS LUC10013 Fuel Treatment because it is the best for taking care of your vehicle and improving its performance.
For a cheaper yet efficient product, the Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment is our recommendation. It will make sure that the fuel system remains clean at all times.