Jeep Renegade Hybrid Might Be in the Works
An electrified version of the smallest Jeep could be coming soon.
A new rumor has surfaced based on spy shots captured by KGP Photography and published by Autoblog suggesting that a hybrid variant of the Jeep Renegade subcompact SUV might be in the works due to an electric shock warning sign in the windshield.
The car pictured is not just any Renegade, but the off-road-ready Renegade Trailhawk. Mysteriously, the Renegade in the spy shots wears Trailhawk badges but is missing a few Trailhawk styling cues like red tow hooks in the front and a stripe on the hood.
It’s unlikely that it’s a fully-electric vehicle, but a hybrid variant sounds realistic. Jeep’s corporate cousin Chrysler has a PHEV version of the Pacifica minivan and the new Jeep JL Wrangler is promising a plug-in hybrid variant in 2020. Perhaps the little Renegade is next in line.
What seems more likely is a mild hybrid like the four-cylinder JL Wrangler which comes with a 48-volt electrical system to give the SUV a mild boost to save some gas. It could also be a more traditional kind of hybrid with an Atkinson cycle engine accompanied with electric motors like a Prius.
We reached out to Jeep asking about this rumor and Jeep declined to comment. A hybrid Renegade would be a welcome addition to the Jeep lineup. The subcompact crossover segment is getting pretty crowded and a hybrid option would be a good way to make the Renegade stand out on top of its rugged, yet cute character and the legitimate off-road capability of the Trailhawk.
- RELATEDThe 2016 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk Is the Only Jeep You NeedWait, what's this bit of heresy?READ NOW
- RELATEDBruce Wayne Would Never Drive a Jeep Renegade, Goddamn ItALL-CAPS FANBOY RAGE!!!READ NOW
- RELATEDYou Can Buy This Jeep Renegade 'Comanche' Pickup on eBay Right NowThis one-off Renegade has been converted into a small pickup truck and relabeled as a Comanche.READ NOW
- RELATED2018 Jeep Wrangler First Drive: The All-New Wrangler Sets the Standard, AgainIf you buy this Jeep and don’t test its mettle in the wild, your car-cred will be revoked.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe New Fiat 500X Urbana Edition Adds Some Style to the City Soft-RoaderBringing some flair to an aging crossover.READ NOW