This Alfa Romeo 2000 GTV Is a Blast From the 1970s
Harry's Garage takes us for a back road blast in this low mileage example.
My best friend in high school was obsessed with his grandfather's quirky Italian car: A 1974 Alfa Romeo 2000 GTV. It was nearly identical to the car featured in the latest video from Harry's Garage, except it was blue, and left-hand drive. Eventually, his grandfather gave him this car, which became his pride and joy (unlike the one in that Hoonigan video). He even picked up an Alfa 164L daily driver to keep the miles off the GTV.
This video brings back a lot of memories for me. I remember that huge wooden steering wheel and the gearshift lever that almost pivoted on the firewall rather than the floor. When Harry pops the hood everything on that twin-cam engine looks familiar, particularly the "Alfa Romeo" script on the valve cover. But it's the growl of that engine that I remember most fondly of all.
An E21 BMW 320i is the closest I've ever come to owning a vintage car like this. I enjoyed my BMW, but it doesn't hold a candle to the class and style of the Alfa GTV.
- RELATEDWatch the Alfa Romeo That Was Dropped Off a Flatbed Shatter Its Oil Pan at Hoonigan GarageAfter being dropped off a flatbed, this Alfa Romeo's streak of bad luck continues at Hoonigan's Donut Garage.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis Is The Alfa Romeo-Sauber C37 Formula 1 CarAlfa Romeo was last seen in Formula 1 in the dying days of the previous turbo era.READ NOW
- RELATEDPricing Confirmed for Alfa Romeo Stelvio QuadrifoglioIt's not too bad for the fastest SUV around the Nurburgring.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti, Driven: A Flawed Hero Still Sparks WorshipSure, no one wants a potentially unreliable car. But Alfa's sport sedan drives so beautifully that I'd take my chances.READ NOW
- RELATEDAlfa Romeo Production Reportedly Jumped 62 Percent in 2017U.S. sales for Alfa Romeo reportedly shot up more than 2,000 percent.READ NOW