A 300-Horsepower Sport Version of the Alpine A110 is Reportedly in the Works
The A110 Sport will also reportedly be 50 kg lighter and 15 to 20 percent stiffer.
Despite the fact that the base car won't be on sale in Europe until 2018, Alpine (pronounced al-peen) is already working on a Sport version of its new A110 sports car with more power, less weight, and stronger dynamic chops.
According to Auto Express, the French sports car firm is apparently preparing to give its new coupe up to 300 horsepower with a tuned version of the car's mid-mounted, 1.8-liter turbo engine. Additionally, it will shed 50 kilograms off of its already trim curb weight by scaling back on interior trimmings. This'll apparently allow the A110 Sport to get from zero to 62 miles per hour in less than 4 seconds. To save you a trip to Wikipedia, the standard A110 produces 250 horsepower, weighs 1,103 kilograms, and gets to 62 mph in 4.5 seconds.
Don't think the hotted-up Alpine's enhancements will be limited to its spec sheet, though. The report goes on to say that the A110 Sport will feature a 15 to 20 percent bump in chassis and suspension stiffness on top of more responsive calibration for its 7-speed dual-clutch transmission, steering, exhaust, and stability control. Brakes, however, will go unchanged thanks to the weight reduction.
Priced and built in a similar vein to cars like the mid-engined and exotic-ish Porsche 718 Cayman and Alfa Romeo 4C, the Alpine A110 sadly won't be sold in the U.S.
- RELATEDAlfa Romeo 4C Will Get a Heavy Refresh in Late 2018Going forward, no high-performance Alfas, Ferraris, or Maseratis will be offered with a manual transmission.READ NOW
- RELATEDListen To The Alpine A110 For The Next 16 MinutesHear the righteous revival of the Alpine A110.READ NOW
- RELATEDAlpine Releases Official Images of A110 Ahead of GenevaThe Renault-Nissan-owned French brand revives the A110, and it's beautiful.READ NOW
- RELATEDYou Can Now Buy the Only Renault Clio V6 Available in the USAThe mid-engine, rear-wheel-drive Renault Clio V6 is one of a kind.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Alpine SUV Will Be a Porsche Macan Alternative, Report SaysAlpine's obligatory volume-seller is reportedly expected to arrive before 2019.READ NOW