McLaren's New Three-Seat Hybrid Hypercar Will Be the Most Powerful McLaren Yet
But don't call it a McLaren F1 successor.
The upcoming hyper-GT three-seater McLaren hypercar will be the most powerful and most aerodynamic street car made by the British automaker yet, according to a press release from the company.
The car, which has been assigned the internal codename "BP23," will have a hybrid drive system that works with a 4.0-liter twin-turbocharged V8 motor. According to McLaren head Mike Flewitt, the car will be the "fastest" McLaren road car yet.
Only 106 cars will be built, and all have already been sold.
Along with the other information in the press release, McLaren dropped a new teaser graphic of the upcoming hypercar. We can't really tell much from the image, but we do see an extremely swoopy rear end and a long swooping center roof line.
At the Geneva Motor Show earlier this month, Flewitt explained to Top Gear that the new car would not be a successor to the '90s F1 supercar. That honor was reserved for the no-longer-in-production P1.
"The P1 is the successor to the F1, and in a few years there will be a successor to the P1."
- RELATEDWatch Pink Floyd's Drummer Wreck His McLaren F1 GTRNick Mason ran out of talent in one of his many McLarens.READ NOW
- RELATEDHow We Took a $2,000 BMW and Made It Go Off-Roading, Run an Endurance Race, and MoreIt's the premiere episode of a miniseries we call /BORN A CAR.READ NOW
- RELATEDMisery Persists at McLaren-Honda After Another Engine SwapA problem-plagued testing session and an antsy top driver do not bode well for McLaren's season.READ NOW
- RELATEDMcLaren 720S Online Configurator Is Up and RunningWhelp, there goes any chance of having a productive afternoon.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Enviate Hypercar May Be Pikes Peak's Best Kept SecretThis radical hillclimb car is all kinds of raw.READ NOW