Toyota Hints At New Supra Unveil For March 6
It's only been what, 16 years in the making?
In the early hours of Tuesday morning, Toyota teased photos of an unnamed sports car, presumed to be the new Supra, on its social media accounts, setting a date for its formal unveiling at the 2018 Geneva Motor Show.
Prior to the announcement, the Supra was reported in January to make its debut at the Swiss event with four performance tiers on show. The release from Toyota suggests the earlier report is accurate, lending some credence to the four-tier allegation which is said to be comprised of a base model, GR Sport, GR, and GRMN. No, that’s not short for German, despite the fact that the next BMW Z4 will share a platform (and maybe more) with the new Supra.
While the return of the Supra name itself has been called into question by Toyota, the automaker’s teaser implies that the legacy name will indeed adorn the new sports car. Powertrain options are disputed between reports with some claiming the new Supra will not be available with three pedals, and others still claiming it will. One detail looking to be near certain is the availability of a four-cylinder engine, which could incense Supra classicists.
All we can tell for sure is that the tremendous wing depicted can be for nothing other than a full-fat track car, one almost certain to wear a Gazoo Racing badge of some sort. We need only wait three weeks to find out.
- RELATEDReport: Four Performance Tiers of Toyota Supra Debut at GenevaHow hot do you want your fifth-generation Supra? Mild, medium, hot, or Nurburgring?READ NOW
- RELATED'Top Secret' V12 Toyota Supra Going to Auction, and You Need ItThis one of a kind monster is one of the most unique pieces you can add to your collection.READ NOW
- RELATEDToyota's New Supra May Not Be Called a Supra at AllWhile Toyota says the Supra name is 'a leading candidate,' it ain't a sure thing.READ NOW
- RELATEDToyota Files For a Trademark on 'Celica'It's about time for the return of Toyota's classic sport coupe.READ NOW
- RELATEDToyota Should Bring Back the Celica as a HybridTwo-door hybrid sports cars need an entry that costs less than six figures.READ NOW