Despite Crash, Ryan Newman Has No Plans to Leave NASCAR Anytime Soon

“His goal is to win the 2020 Cup championship,” said Roush Fenway president Steve Newmark.

Chris Graythen/Getty Images

Ryan Newman's Daytona 500 crash nearly a week ago caused panic amongst the NASCAR faithful. While an air of relief swept in once doctors revealed the 42-year-old's injuries weren't life-threatening, he remained in serious condition through Monday night. When he was released from the hospital less than two days later, everyone started to breathe easy again. At that time, it was unclear if Newman would return to racing given the circumstances of his vicious crash; he made certain over the weekend, though, that he plans to get behind the wheel as soon as he's given the all-clear.

Roush Fenway Racing president Steve Newmark explained in a statement Sunday morning that Newman is eager to return once he heals from an unnamed head injury. 

"Ryan's objectives have not changed this year," Newmark said. "His goal is to win the 2020 Cup Championship."

"It was a pretty agonizing few days. There was not one single person at Roush Fenway who wanted to go home that night. They would have camped out at the hospital," Newmark continued.

There's currently no timetable for Newman's NASCAR return. He must first be cleared by physicians as well as the sanctioning body for the aforementioned head injury. Still, the fact that Newman didn't suffer any bones or major internal damage is a testament to modern racing safety

Ross Chastain has taken over driving duties for the No. 6 Ford Mustang, including Sunday's race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.

“Right now we’re just taking it one race at a time,” Newmark said of Chastain's role with the team. “The arrangement with Ross is if we need him, he should be available.”

As for now, Newman has been instructed to rest while doctors evaluate his condition, which he says they've been impressed by to this point.

CHRIS GRAYTHEN/GETTY IMAGES

Newman's Statement

“I’m sorry that I can’t be at the track in person, but I asked Steve to take a moment to express my sincere appreciation and gratitude for all the support that was shown last week to both me and my family. The outpouring of emotion from not only the NASCAR community, but across the country has been truly humbling.

“I want to personally thank everyone, including the man upstairs, for their support, encouragement and the numerous offers of assistance. We always say that the NASCAR community is one big family and never has that been more evident to me than after seeing this family rally together and provide the comfort and support that has been shown to my family and me over the past few days. The calls and visits from the NASCAR executives and my friends and competitors has been truly uplifting.

“I want to thank everyone involved in my care, especially the staff at Halifax Medical Center, where I am convinced I received the best care available. I’m confident the efforts of each of those trained professionals played a major role in where I’m sitting today. And to the entire NASCAR organization, led by Jim France, thanks for being by my side the entire time. You truly stepped up to support me unconditionally when it mattered most.

“Most importantly, I have to thank the guys back at the Roush Fenway Racing shop that built me a car not only fast enough to lead the final seconds of the Daytona 500, but strong enough to do its job under great distress, allowing me to survive such an accident. I am truly indebted to each of you and it is unlikely I will ever be able to properly express to you how much the diligent effort with which you conduct your craftmanship has affected me and my family. I hope you took pride in the photograph of me walking out of the hospital hand-in-hand with my daughters on Wednesday. Thank you. I can’t wait to get back in your race car.

“I was fortunate to avoid any internal organ damage or broken bones. I did sustain a head injury for which I’m currently being treated. The doctors have been pleased with my progression over the last few days.

“Again, I want to thank each of you, from my partners, teammates and competitors and each and every fan across the country. Thank you everyone for the unparalleled concern and unwavering support. And to the media, who has acted with such respect and class during this time.

“I have spoken with Jack Roush and he has assured me that the number six car will be waiting and ready for my return. I’m looking forward to getting behind the wheel and battling for another race win in the Roush Fenway Ford.”