Austin Dillon Reunites With NASCAR Crew Chief Danny Stockman for 2019 Season
Richard Childress Racing returns the crew chief to the NASCAR Cup Series.
Danny Stockman will replace Justin Alexander as Austin Dillon’s crew chief on the No. 3 Richard Childress Racing Chevrolet team in the NASCAR Cup Series next season. The race team hasn’t made an official announcement regarding the change, but it has been confirmed by NBC Sports.
Stockman has worked with Dillon before at RCR in both the NASCAR Xfinity and Truck Series, having won championships in each during 2011 and 2013, respectively. They also worked together for two Cup Series races, most recently at Las Vegas Motor Speedway in September of this year, as Stockman filled in for Alexander who sat out the race due to a family matter. Stockman also was the crew chief for Dillon’s Cup Series debut at Kansas Speedway in 2011.
Stockman has been a crew chief in 14 Cup Series races, pairing with former RCR driver Paul Menard for 12 contests in 2016. He has one top-10 finish in the series with Menard at ISM (formerly Phoenix International) Raceway.
Stockman has been the crew chief for Daniel Hemric on the No. 21 Richard Childress Racing team in the Xfinity Series the last two seasons. Hemric is moving to the Cup Series in 2019 to drive the No. 31 car vacated by Ryan Newman.
Hemric is winless in the Xfinity Series, but Stockman guided him to the Championship Four of that series’ playoffs in both of the last two years.
"I am just extremely proud of Danny Stockman and everyone on this No. 21 South Point Hotel & Casino Chevrolet team for getting us to the Championship Four for the second season in a row,” Hemric said in an RCR press release ahead of the Nov. 17 season-finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway.
Dillon had Alexander as crew chief for 60 Cup Series races before his recent partnering with Stockman. Together, they won twice in the 2017 Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway and the 2018 season-opening Daytona 500 at Daytona International Speedway.
- RELATEDFrance Family Looks to Merge International Speedway Corp. Into NASCARNASCAR's France family wants to buy outstanding shares of ISC and combine the two billion-dollar-plus companies.READ NOW
- RELATEDJoey Meier Out as Brad Keselowski's NASCAR Spotter Next YearMeier led Keselowski to championships in the NASCAR Cup and Xfinity Series.READ NOW
- RELATEDNASCAR Driver Elliott Sadler Battles With Security at Homestead-Miami SpeedwaySadler couldn't get into the Homestead-Miami Speedway infield because the pass he needed for access was left in his motorhome.READ NOW
- RELATEDFord Claims First NASCAR Cup Series Manufacturer Championship Since 2002Joey Logano, a Team Penske Ford driver, also won the Drivers' Championship.READ NOW
- RELATEDDenny Hamlin to Partner With New NASCAR Crew Chief for 2019 SeasonThe NASCAR veteran had his first winless season since going full-time in the NASCAR Cup Series.READ NOW