Volkswagen Will Squash the Beetle
The production version of the I.D. Buzz microbus concept will replace the Beetle as VW's nostalgia model.
Volkswagen confirmed to AutoCar Tuesday that there will not be a replacement for the Beetle when its current model run is complete.
The announcement was made by Frank Welsch, member of Volkswagen's Board for Development, at the Geneva Motor Show. "Two or three generations is enough now," he said. He also stated that that the current version of the Beetle was "made with history in mind but you can't do it five times and have a new new new Beetle."
Instead, the upcoming I.D. Buzz will replace the Beetle as VW's retro-inspired offering. It's a wise move since microbus enthusiasts have been clamoring for a new one ever since the old one was discontinued. The T-Roc convertible will replace the Beetle convertible in the lineup, as well as the Cabrio and Eos convertible models.
This is a reversal from VW was thinking just a few months ago when an electric Beetle was not only considered, it was also thought to be rear-wheel-drive, true to the original rear-engine Beetle. It, like other electric models, would share VW's MEB platform, and not be that far off mechanically from the I.D. Buzz. But since then the I.D. Buzz has apparently buzz-killed the Beetle, with Volkswagen deciding that two heritage models would be too much for its lineup. Declining Beetle sales over the last few years were undoubtedly a factor as well.
- RELATEDNew Volkswagen Beetle Will Be Electric and Rear-Wheel DriveA next-generation, rear-drive, EV punch buggy would sit on Volkswagen's MEB platform.READ NOW
- RELATEDVolkswagen Beetle, Scirocco Likely Axed Due to Dieselgate CostsTwo of VW's most storied nameplates may be the next casualties of the emissions-cheating scandal.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch Tanner Foust Drift His 544-Horsepower VW Beetle RallyCross Car Up a Mountain RoadIt might be a rallycross car, but that didn't stop Foust from claiming this public road as his own.READ NOW
- RELATEDVolkswagen Sponsors 1970 Beetle in Baja 1000The Beetle is inextricably linked with the Baja 1000, and VW has not forgotten that.READ NOW
- RELATEDFirst Official Image of New Transformers Film Shows Bumblebee as a Volkswagen BeetleBumblebee's origin story does away with the Camaro in favor of a...Bug.READ NOW