Tandem Motorcycle Wheelie Goes Terribly, Horribly Wrong
Both guys are okay—but they definitely should have worn more gear.
When you’re on the rear seat of a motorcycle, you’re putting a lot of trust in the rider in control of the bike. You trust the motorcyclist sitting in front of you to be safe, cautious, courteous to other drivers...and to not send the bike through a fence into someone’s yard while doing a wheelie.
Unfortunately, that’s exactly what happened to these poor dudes seen on Instagram. Both guys on the bike are quite ill-equipped when it comes to safety gear; the driver is wearing a hoodie and the passenger is wearing a t-shirt and a backpack. Both of them are wearing shorts and shoes that look less than ideal for riding, but at least they both have helmets on. Helmets are good, but adding jackets, gloves, proper footwear, and at least some jeans would have been a lot better.
The good news is, they didn’t take too much of a spill, but it did look pretty funny. Mid-wheelie, the driver lost control of the bike and jumped through a gap in a fence, tumbling into what appears to be a gravel spot of someone’s back yard. Both of the guys get up without much fanfare, but you can almost see the embarrassment on the rider responsible for the stunt right through his helmet.
Check it out for yourself—but don’t try this at home. If you're going to perform a wheelie on a motorcycle at all, at least try to do it with some measure of responsibility, ideally away from public roads. And wear your damn safety gear.
- RELATEDWatch a Harley-Davidson Crash While StuntingA series of events caused this rider's simple wheelie to go just the right amount of wrong.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis Guy’s Going to Attempt the World’s Fastest Ice Wheelie12 o’clock all day...on ice.READ NOW
- RELATEDMotorcycle Gang Terrorizes the Greater Toronto Area With Highway HooliganismThese out-of-control Canadian madmen didn't even say sorry.READ NOW
- RELATEDDirt Bikes, Death Valley, and the Wheelie King of New YorkThe coldest time of year is the best time to ride a dirt bike in the hottest place in America.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch This Formula E Racer Pop a Wheelie at the Mexico City ePrixNot exactly what you're hoping for in one of the year's biggest races.READ NOW