Looks Like There’s a Ferrari LaFerrari Spider Coming
And you won't be able to buy one. For a lot of reasons.
If you ever looked at the Ferrari LaFerrari and thought, Boy, that is a nice-looking car, but I wish I could my scalp could get a sunburn while I drove it, well, we have some good news for you. Ferrari, it seems, is going to create a LaFerrari Spider.
That's the latest rumor from the gurus and gazillionaires over on FerrariChat, the Internet's best source for Maranello-oriented discussion. Shortly after a picture of a carbon-fiber box with an illustration of (what appears to be) a LaFerrari Spider on it hit the web, the FerrariChatters—who are anonymous, but have proven themselves quite accurate about future product plans—confirmed that Ferrari has started the delicate process of informing potential buyers about the droptop hypercar. Tifosi, take note.
But who, exactly, will make the cut? Well, not you. And that has less to do with your lack of $2 million in liquid assets than you might think. According to the sources on FerrariChat, only 150 or 200 LaFerrari Spiders will be made—far fewer than the coupe's production run of 499. (Ferrari has been known to build more examples of its limited-production cars than claimed, but that's a story for another day.) First dibs may be offered to those owners who've chosen to participate in the automaker's LaFerrari-based FXX K racecar program. If there aren't enough of those to take all the units, then the rest of the cars will likely go to other LaFerrari owners and super-loyal customers—the kinds of guys who shell out millions of dollars over many years on new Ferraris to build up equity with the brand. And, apparently, Justin Bieber.
According to one FerrariChat poster, a LaFerrari Spider was shown off to at least one group of potential buyers on March 5. And that carbon-fiber box box? Apparently, it held a key. Enjoy, you lucky bastard.
- RELATEDAlong Came Two Spiders: Topless Ferrari 488 and Lamborghini Huracán Arrive at Frankfurt Motor ShowTwo of our favorite supercars, now with less roof.READ NOW
- RELATED5 Things We’d Do With This Ferrari F1 Engine at Sotheby’sSotheby’s has a legit Schumacher Era V-10 straight from the Scuderia. It could be put to service in a number of interesting—and terrifying—ways.READ NOW
- RELATEDAmelia Island Hits the Ferrari Mother LodeThese auction cars will steal your heart; their prices will crush your soul.READ NOW
- RELATEDAngels Pitcher CJ Wilson’s Viper Will Eat Ferraris All DayMajor Leaguer hurls his brutally fast new “Captain America” Dodge Viper ACR ‘round Fontana.READ NOW
- RELATEDBehind the Scenes in Geneva With the Ferrari GTC4 LussoOur favorite kind of weird.READ NOW