Best Bottle Jacks: Lift Your Truck with Ease
Get to work on your vehicle by lifting it with a bottle jack.
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
You love working on your truck, but there are some tasks that you just can’t do with all four wheels on the ground. A bottle jack is the perfect portable solution for lifting a vehicle off the ground. A bottle jack is small and simple to use. All you need to do is buy the right one with the right lifting power. Check out the following bottle jacks to get your vehicle lifted sky high.
Combine your bottle jack and jack stand into one unit. This bottle jack has a safety bar that will lock the jack at your desired height. It comes in a two-ton or three-ton option.
- Designed for large trucks and off-road vehicles
- Broad base for greater stability
- Oil can leak
- Weighs more than other jacks
Use this affordable bottle jack with its 4-ton capacity. It’s simple and easy to use with a steel lifting saddle and extension screw.
- Meet ANSI/PALD standards
- Heat-treated critical stress areas
- Too tall for cars
- Can leak fluid
This heavy-duty hydraulic lift is made from steel and has a heat-treated saddle. It has a maximum lift height of 11 inches. It has a 12-ton capacity.
- Long zinc-plated handle
- Lower retractable height
- May struggle to get the jack to release
- May lose its pressure over time
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Best Bottle Jacks Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- Consider how you want to use your bottle jack when deciding on which one to buy. Some jacks are specific in their purpose, such as lifting heavy vehicles, agricultural vehicles, or industrial equipment.
- Take into account the type of vehicle you want to lift. Sports cars are low to the ground, so you need a jack with low clearance. Trucks have a higher clearance, so you need a taller jack with a higher lift.
- Look at the build quality of the bottle jack. Most jacks are made out of either alloy steel or iron. Some use a combination of steel and iron. Your jack must be painted to prevent rusting. Higher-quality jacks also have handles or wheels for easier maneuverability.
Q: When should I use a bottle jack?
A: While there are bottle jacks designed for low-clearance vehicles, they aren’t the best option. Floor jacks are a better choice for this purpose. They are best used with high-clearance vehicles with a lot of weight, such as trucks. They are ideal when you need a strong vertical lift.
Q: How do bottle jacks work?
A: These jacks use hydraulics. There are two cylinders inside the body of the jack. You pump the handle, which moves the piston. As the piston moves, pressure increases. That pressure generates a force that lifts the shaft. The two cylinders use Pascal’s Law. You create pressure in the smaller canister, which then translates to pressure in the larger cylinder. Because the larger cylinder is bigger, it creates more pressure and lifting force that will lift your vehicle.
Q: How do I use a bottle jack?
A: Move your bottle jack into the spot under your vehicle recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. Make sure your vehicle is on flat level ground. Close the release valve, and adjust the saddle so that it touches the vehicle. Pump the handle until the jack lifts to your desired height. When you’re finished working on your vehicle, lower it by removing the handle and releasing the valve.
Our top pick for the best bottle jack is the Powerbuilt All-in-One Bottle Jack. It’s designed for larger trucks and off-road vehicles with a taller height and larger base for greater stability.
For a more affordable option, the Pro-Lift Grey Hydraulic Bottle Jack has heat-treated critical stress areas and meets ANSI/PALD standards.