Mercedes-AMG Previews AMG GT Super Bowl Commercial Featuring Peter Fonda
Bikers, matte gray paint, and American flag leather jackets. Surely, something for everyone!
The Mercedes-AMG GT is an intense ride, one whose gobs of power is matched only by it's extreme attitude. Powered by a hand-built, 4.0-liter V8 cranking out 456 hp, this wide, long coupe will terrorize your neighborhood like a one-person biker gang. However, that's about the only connection Mercedes has to bikers—loud exhaust.
Still, Mercedes-AMG recruited famous directors Joel and Ethan Coen to direct their Super Bowl ad starring Peter Fonda. The commercial starts off with a bunch of old and tattered bikers roughing one another up to the sounds of Steppenwolf's Born to be Wild before someone barges in to declare that everyone's bikes are blocked in. The whole gang proceeds to storm outside, only to be confronted by a matte-gray Mercedes-AMG GT—and then, a beat later, Peter Fonda from Easy Rider stepping out of the adjacent gas station and walking to his awaiting ride. A couple quips, a couple sight gags, and another Superbowl car commercial commercial is made.
Don’t get me wrong, I didn’t mind the commercial, but with the AMG GT I would have preferred to watch a full 30 seconds of high-speed passes with no audio overlay.
- RELATED2017 Mercedes-AMG E43 Test Drive: 7 First ImpressionsOur initial thoughts from behind the wheel.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Upgraded Mercedes-AMG GT Can Turn Your iPhone Into a Racing ComputerIt can also go very, very, very fast.READ NOW
- RELATEDMercedes-AMG GT R Will Get a Roadster, New Porsche Panamera Sets a Nurburgring Record: The Evening RushPlus, the ultimate tool from Timahawk and a summer button-down from Ball & Buck.READ NOW
- RELATEDAlfa Romeo Giulia Pricing Revealed and Images of the Mercedes-AMG E50 Coupe Are Out: The Evening RushPlus, an electric skateboard to make your commute fun.READ NOW
- RELATEDIs There a Biker Gang Crisis in Australia?Reports point to resurgent motorcycle crime along the Gold Coast.READ NOW