2020 Mazda CX-30: New Skyactiv-X and Manual Transmission Give us Hope for Something Great
One thing's for sure—it's a looker.
Year, Make, Model: 2020 Mazda CX-30
Top Line: At the 2019 Geneva Motor Show, Mazda took the wraps off of an all-new compact crossover called the CX-30. And no, it isn't 10 CX-3s daisy-chained together.
What's New: Based on the new Mazda3, the CX-30 is the second Mazda offering to be made under the company's "refined quality" ethos. Therefore, it features an extremely similar interior and will get the same powertrain options. Specifically, a 2.0-liter Skyactiv-G motor to start followed by a Skyactiv-X unit in the future using the firm's revolutionary Spark Controlled Compression Ignition tech.
Like the redesigned 3, the CX-30 will be available with all-wheel drive (front-drive is standard) and G-Vectoring Control Plus, a system that uses brakes to sort out the car in emergency or more sporting driving situations. A six-speed manual transmission will also be on the options sheet.
Styling-wise, the new crossover carries on Mazda's now-fancier-looking Kodo design language with a typical Mazda front end and a rear end that somewhat resembles the Jaguar I-Pace. In other words, this ain't a bad looking car at all.
Quotable: In a release worthy of the great Marie Kondo, CX-30 program manager Naohito Saga writes, "Mazda wants drivers—and their passengers—to truly enjoy the many ways in which owning a car can enrich your lifestyle. We designed the Mazda CX-30 to help customers make stimulating new discoveries within their daily routine and share them with the people they love."
"The design had to embody the joy of owning something that matches your sensibilities." Saga-san adds. "The cabin had to be spacious enough to share good times with family and friends. And finally, vehicle performance had to be excellent, offering comfort and peace of mind so drivers and passengers can relax and enjoy the ride."
With its supposedly game-changing Skyactiv-X ignition system, the CX-30 might just bring a whole new meaning to the phrase "spark joy."
What You Need to Know: Dimensionally, the CX-30 slots in between the CX-3 and CX-5. Its wheelbase is 88 millimeters longer than the CX-3's and it sports 15 mm more ground clearance than the CX-3, but overall height is identical.
An 8.8-inch display graces the dash while Mazda's i-Activsense safety tech including a Driver Monitoring system keeps its driver awake and the car out of the body shop.
The 2020 Mazda CX-30 will hit showrooms early next year.
- RELATED2019 Mazda CX-5 First Drive: Turbo Power and a Swanky Interior Take a Good Crossover to New HeightsA nasty, wintry mix of Canadian weather showed why Mazda's top-selling crossover is even better for 2019.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis 2019 Mazda MX-5 Cup Race Car Could Be Yours Thanks to a Racer-Owned Non-ProfitA raffle ticket that benefits chemo patients could land you one of the most competitive spec race cars in the world, along with a ton of racing gear.READ NOW
- RELATEDMazda3 Skyactiv-X Engine Reportedly Getting 178 HP in Europe, Could be More Powerful in USThe trick, supercharged four-cylinder could make the new Mazda3 especially punchy for its class.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe New Mazda3 Red and Greige Interior Colors Are so 2019 It HurtsI thought I escaped the scourge of the term "greige" when I turned off HGTV, but no! No! It found me! HELP ME, RED LEATHER. HELP!READ NOW
- RELATED2019 Mazda MX-5 Miata RF Review: Which Is Best, Classic Convertible or Sexy Retractable Hardtop?In 2019, the Great Mazda Miata debate rages on like never before.READ NOW