Audi Exec Announces 50-Car Production Run of 671-HP PB18 E-tron: Report
Audi's handsome PB18 E-tron reportedly won't be doomed to fade into obscurity as a concept car.
An Audi executive has reportedly confirmed that the German automaker will produce its electric PB18 E-tron concept car.
Audi Holland's CEO Bram Schot reportedly revealed the news to media at a Wednesday launch event for the Audi E-tron electric crossover, according to Autoweek Netherlands. Production for the all-electric supercar will reportedly be limited to 50 cars.
The PB18 E-tron was first revealed at Monterey Car Week in August of 2018, and established a design trend that future electric Audis (such as the E-tron GT) will follow. Using a solid-state, 95 kilowatt-hour (kWh) battery, the PB18 E-tron can travel up to 310 miles on a full charge, or it can burn through said charge with 671 all-wheel horsepower and 612 pound-feet of torque. Zero-to-60 is claimed to take just over two seconds, and an empty battery is expected to recharge to full in 15 minutes with inductive charging.
Driving position in the PB18 can be slid left, right, or center, depending on preferred position. Audi joked that the model will have "Level 0 autonomy" in reference to the SAE's tiers of vehicular automation, meaning that the PB18 will use no driving automation processes whatsoever.
Schot did not specify whether the most advanced features of the concept car—its solid-state battery or inductive fast-charging capabilities—will make production, though the former can reasonably be counted out, as Tesla's battery supplier Panasonic says solid-state batteries for EVs are likely a decade off at least. Audi as a member of the Volkswagen Auto Group will benefit from the corporation's partnership with fast-charging infrastructure giant Ionity, which is developing inductive fast-chargers meant for compatibility with the auto giant's vehicles, the PB18 included.
The Drive contacted Audi for confirmation of Schot's statements and information on the production PB18, and we will update when we receive comment.
- RELATEDMarvel and Disney Transform Audi E-Tron Into Spaceship With In-Car VR at CES 2019The unique experience features Guardians of the Galaxy characters that will make you navigate an asteroid field.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch the Gorgeous Audi E-Tron GT Drive Under Its Own PowerThe Audi e-tron GT may be whisper-quiet, but it's still packing 590 horsepower and Quattro all-wheel drive.READ NOW
- RELATEDAudi Drawing Up Faster and Cheaper E-tron Crossovers: ReportVersions of the Audi E-tron electric crossover are reportedly on the way in both austere and ostentatious guises.READ NOW
- RELATED2019 Volvo S60 T8 Review: Half-Baked Hybrid Shows Volvo Is Miles Behind Electric Car LeadersIllusory mileage gains and glitchy hybrid system should send Volvo back to the drawing board.READ NOW
- RELATEDMercedes-Benz EQC Electric Crossover Makes US Debut at CES 2019Mercedes-Benz's first mass-produced electric vehicle steals the limelight in Las Vegas.READ NOW