The 2019 Acura MDX A-Spec Is a Goth-Trim MDX
The A-Spec brings a smattering of cosmetic touches but not much else.
Acura unveiled a new A-Spec trim for its MDX crossover at the New York Auto Show on Wednesday, bringing to the table a bevy of dark trim pieces, smoked wheels, some race car-inspired interior touches, and... well, not much else.
Which may not be a bad thing considering the MDX is apparently the best-selling three-row luxury SUV of all time. Of all time. In the words of Honda America senior vice president Henio Arcangeli Jr, "This MDX A-Spec adds a dimension of sporty, aggressive and youthful appeal that will attract new buyers to the best-selling three-row luxury SUV of all time." Hey, if it ain't broke...
Consisting of strictly cosmetic upgrades, the 2019 MDX A-Spec looks like it was outfitted by a sullen teenager with an unhealthy obsession with Marilyn Manson. With black cladding, 20-inch Shark Grey wheels, a mean-looking new front fascia, and headlights, grille, and window frames finished in dark chrome, this people-hauling Acura goes hard with the automotive mascara.
On the inside, the goth-trim MDX gets Alcantara-laden sport seats that can be had in red, contrast stitching that can be had in red, and special gauges lit up in, you guessed it, red. Sport pedals, carbon trim on the center console, and a thicker steering wheel with paddle shifters round out the A-Spec's racecar cockpit vibes.
The 2019 Acura MDX A-Spec can only be had with the firm's torque vectoring Super Handling All-Wheel Drive. While we're a little disappointed at the A-Spec's lack of proper performance upgrades, we think a proper Type-S MDX with go-fast tech borrowed from the NSX would be quite the machine. Given how super hot luxury SUVs are all the rage these days, it's not even that bad of a business idea.
- RELATED2019 Acura RDX A-Spec Will Debut at the New York Auto ShowWe've seen a prototype, now we'll get to see the production model.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe New Acura MDX With NSX All-Wheel-Drive Is HereSoccer moms rejoice, you will soon be crowned 'Queen of the Rec Center Parking Lot' as the new MDX Sport Hybrid arrives at dealerships Feb. 1.READ NOW
- RELATEDAcura TLX A-Spec Vs. Subaru WRX STI at Monticello Motor Club: An Utterly Unfair AWD Winter ShowdownNot all all-wheel-drive cars are equal. And it doesn't help when one one is wearing snow tires.READ NOW
- RELATEDAcura to Revive the Type-S Badge, Introduce Turbocharged V6Acura joins the horde of manufacturers pledging to make more enthusiast-oriented cars.READ NOW
- RELATED2017 Acura MDX Sport Hybrid Review: Nailing Performance, Trailing in LuxuryHybrid tech from the NSX supercar can't fully compensate for pedestrian design and godawful infotainment.READ NOW