Mercedes-Benz Unveils Refreshed 2018 S-Class Coupe, Cabriolet
A new look and new standard features move the standard for two-door luxury even highter.
Following the S-Class sedan’s lead, the two-door variants of the Mercedes-Benz flagship are being updated for the 2018 model year. Mercedes unveiled the two cars on Tuesday ahead of their official debut at the Frankfurt Auto Show starting next week.
Other than obvious body style differences, the new S-Class Coupe and Cabriolet have a few changes from the new sedan. They’re getting the new 4.0-liter twin-turbo V8 with cylinder deactivation which will produce 463 horsepower. However, the S560 will be the base model for these two cars. The 3.0-liter V6—which also has twin turbochargers—available in the S450 sedan will not be available in the coupe or cabriolet.
The stars of the show are the AMG models. The AMG S63 will have a handcrafted AMG version of the twin-turbo 4.0-liter V8 making 603 horsepower and 664 lb-ft of torque, while the crazier S65 will have a twin-turbo 6.0-liter V12 cranking out 621 hp and 738 lb-ft of twist. The V8 in the S63 will move these cars from 0-60 mph in 3.4 seconds. That’s quite a bit faster than the V12-powered S65, which will take 4.0 seconds. If you settle for the non-AMG S560, you’ll be waiting 4.5 seconds to get from 0-60.
Other new standard features on the S-Class Coupe and Cabriolet include OLED taillamps, wireless smartphone charging, a Widescreen Cockpit display, Airmatic semi-active air suspension with Road Surface Scan, and Energizing comfort which tunes the comfort systems in the car like climate, ambient lighting, massaging seats, and fragrance functions to create different atmospheres. The six different programs are Freshness, Warmth, Vitality, Joy, Comfort, and Training.
No word on pricing yet, but we know these will be available in the first half of 2018. We'd be surprised if these cars started below $120,000, so start saving up if you want the ultimate in two-door luxury this side of Bentley.
- RELATEDNext Mercedes-Benz S-Class May Get a Sleek New VariantThink of it as “CLS Plus.”READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch A 2018 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Drive Itself Off The Assembly LineProduction of the new, facelifted S-Class has begun in Sindelfingen.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis Is The BMW Concept 8 Series in All Its GloryFeast your eyes on the return of BMW's big coupe.READ NOW
- RELATEDMercedes Upgrades the S-Class With More Semi-Autonomous CapabilitiesMercedes-Benz says driver-assist features debuting on the 2018 S-Class will be able to work in a wider range of situations.READ NOW
- RELATEDIf Only Audi Built This Gorgeous A8 CoupeThis A8 Coupe rendering by X-Tomi Design would be a great Mercedes S-Class competitor.READ NOW