Mercedes-AMG C63 R Is in the Works
Track-focused C-Class set to put M4 GTS on notice before 2019.
Mercedes-AMG is reportedly set to release a track-ready version of the C63, dubbed the C63 R. In the same vein as the AMG GT R, the latest, greatest C-Class will likely boast more power, less weight, more downforce, and a wider, carbon fiber-laden body. In the previous generation of AMGs, hardened track-focused models were built under the 'Black Series' moniker; the company seems to have eschewed this label in favor of the simpler 'R' suffix to denote their most hardcore models. According to Carscoops, the C63 R is projected to go on sale sometime before 2019—and is therefore likely to happen after the C-Class undergoes its mid-cycle refresh.
Likely powered by a massaged version of the 4.0-liter twin-turbo V8 in the base C63, the R may end up producing upwards of 600 horsepower. A Car and Driver source reports spotting camouflaged wide-body C-Classes in both coupe and sedan variants, leading us to believe that the R may come in both body styles, besting the coupe-only offering of its chief rival, the BMW M4 GTS. Extrapolating from the price of the current C63 S and also the C63 Black from last generation, expect to pay around $100,000 to fulfill your wildest DTM fantasies.
- RELATEDThe Mercedes-Benz AMG C63 S Is a Brute in a SuitElectrifying AMG performance, shocking AMG price.READ NOW
- RELATEDYour First Look at the New Mercedes-AMG GT RWe're in England for the reveal of Mercedes-AMG's most hardcore car yet.READ NOW
- RELATEDTrack-Focused BMW M4 GTS Coupe Is a 500-horsepower Fire HydrantBehold, the greatness of turbocharging and a 145-psi water injection.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch the Mercedes-AMG GT R Lap the Nurburgring in 7 Minutes 11 SecondsThe "Beast of the Green Hell" proves it deserves the nickname.READ NOW
- RELATEDMercedes-AMG C63 S Estate Quick ReviewCritic’s Notebook takeaway: This 503-horsepower, twin-turbo wagon will shred tires and scare the children. And Americans can’t buy it.READ NOW