BMW Concept 8 Series Shows Off at Los Angeles Auto Show
See the new 8 Series in the flesh in Los Angeles, taking inspiration from the BMW Z cars.
Among the sea of SUVs debuting at this year's Los Angeles Auto Show, BMW shined brightly, showing off the much-anticipated Concept 8 Series luxury sports car. We got a sneak peek of the Concept 8 Series this May, but seeing the car up close is quite an experience. It's gorgeous in person.
Member of BMW's Board of Management Dr. Ian Robertson hinted that the production versions will very closely resemble this concept, and will launch next year. The new grand touring car is designed with the BMW Z series roadsters in mind, showing a striking resemblance to the 2019 Z4 concept. The Concept 8 Series adheres to BMW's "less is more" philosophy, featuring subtler lines and curves.
While no specifications were given, we're hoping BMW's mantra doesn't make its way into the Concept 8's powertrain. The 8 Series' grand touring variant looks like it will take on the Lexus LC500 and Mercedes-AMG GT, so expect nothing less than a twin-turbocharged V-8 making around 500 horsepower, potentially from the new 2018 M5.
Whatever the specs are, we're relieved that the BMW M Division is finally offering a vehicle fit to dethrone the kings of the high-performance grand touring coupe segment, and reviving the 8 Series in the process.
- RELATEDWatch This Teaser of the BMW i8 Roadster in Final TestingExpect the topless variant of BMW's plug-in hybrid sports car in showrooms next year.READ NOW
- RELATEDWhy the New BMW 8-Series Makes SenseTremendous profit potential means BMW’s “best failed experiment” might get a second chance.READ NOW
- RELATEDLand Rover Debuts Redesigned 2019 Range Rover SVAutoBiography at L.A. Auto ShowWhen you think of the ultimate chauffeur vehicle, the SVAutobiography should definitely be on your short list.READ NOW
- RELATEDAudi to Debut Fourth-Generation A8 at LA Auto ShowThe new flagship from Audi is loaded with a hybrid drivetrain and level three autonomous tech.READ NOW
- RELATEDNew Mercedes-Benz CLS Teased Ahead of LA Auto ShowThe original four-door coupe evolves.READ NOW