New Rolls-Royce SUV Spotted Testing in the Snow
There's no camouflaging that iconic grill.
Eight years after the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression, the world is suddenly flush with supremely expensive SUVs. It's the Bentley Bentayga's world now, and we're just living in it. It makes sense, then, that Rolls-Royce is excited about the launch of its new Cullinan SUV—so excited, in fact, that the normally secretive company sent a camo'd version (along with a possible AWD Phantom or Ghost update?) out to play in the snow recently in front of a few cameras. It's looking a little like the love child of a Ghost and a Range Rover, but then again, those are two pretty great parents to have.
The first half of the video from autoevolution shows the Cullinan (named for the largest gem-quality diamond ever found) cruising up and down some snowy streets, with the second half showing it tackle a few closed packed-snow courses. It looks like the newly-designed AWD system works quite well, as the Cullinan climbs and descends a few steeper sections that might give a RWD Rolls some trouble.
Powered by a twin-turbo V12, the Cullinan will tie a new aluminum structure to that traditional "magic carpet ride" suspension for gains in fuel economy and comfort. When the cold weather testing is completed, Rolls-Royce plans to take its testing to the Middle East for some sandy summer fun. It's due to launch in late 2018—as Rolls-Royce's website says, "you can't rush perfection."
- RELATEDRolls-Royce Gives Us the Best Look Yet at the Cullinan SUVSpoiler alert: It looks like an SUV with a Rolls-Royce front end.READ NOW
- RELATEDBentley's Fly-Fishing Bentayga Is for Rich People Who No Longer ExistEveryone knows today's wealthy are hoovering up Cronuts, not fishing brook-side.READ NOW
- RELATEDBentley’s Future Involves a Sports Car, an Electric Car, and a Whole Bunch of Bentaygas, Reports ClaimThere may be a bunch more Bentleys on the way.READ NOW
- RELATEDBentley Bentayga Mulliner to Debut at the 2017 Geneva Motor ShowThe edition may not bring about drastic changes, but the price tag could be a different story.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis Brabus-STARTECH Bentley Bentayga Is Downright SexyThe aftermarket group turns out a comely vision that fixes the ute's weird butt.READ NOW