Porsche 919 Hybrid Evo Sets All-Time Nurburgring Lap Record at 5:19.55
The previous record stood for an astounding 35 years.
Destroying the previous record of 6:11.13 that stood for 35 years, Timo Bernhard lapped the Nurburgring in just 5:19.55 behind the wheel of a Porsche 919 Hybrid Evo Le Mans car. The previous record was held by Stefan Bellof and a Porsche 956 C.
This new lap time is a huge landmark for having broken such a long-standing record at the world-famous track. Timo Bernhard was the man for the job being a five-time winner of the Nurburgring 24-hours and two-time winner of Le Mans 24-hours with plenty of experience with the Porsche 919.
“This is a great moment for me and for the entire team—the 919 programme’s icing on the cake. The Evo was perfectly prepared and I have done my best on this lap. Thanks to the aerodynamic downforce, at sections I never imagined you can stay on full throttle. I’m pretty familiar with the Nordschleife. But today I got to learn it in a new way,” said the 37-year-old endurance racing veteran.
The Porsche 919 Evo that accomplished this incredible time is a modified version of the 919 race car that won the FIA World Endurance Championship in 2015, 2016, and 2017. Since it’s just being used to go around breaking lap records (including Spa earlier this year), it no longer needs to meet FIA regulations and it’s been modified to just be as fast as possible. The result is total horsepower from the hybrid drivetrain being turned up to 1160 and a 50 percent increase in downforce. The Evo weighs 1,871 pounds, reached a top speed of 229.5 mph at the ‘Ring with the record-setting lap having an average speed of 145.3 mph.
Watch the incredible onboard video below.
- RELATEDPorsche 919 Hybrid Evo Spotted on the Nürburgring Gunning for a Lap RecordThis untamed LMP1 car has been seen testing on the Nordschleife to beat the all-time lap record another Porsche set 35 years ago.READ NOW
- RELATEDPorsche 919 Hybrid Evo Smashes Spa-Francorchamps' F1 Lap RecordPorsche's hybrid endurance racer lapped the famous Belgian circuit faster than Lewis Hamilton's 2017-spec Formula 1 car.READ NOW
- RELATEDGo Snow Drifting In A Porsche GT3 Cup Car With Timo BernhardPorsche's Winter Driving Experience Has A Factory Ace In Their CornerREAD NOW
- RELATEDPorsche 919 Hybrid Evo and 956 C to Open Nürburgring 24 Hour Race with Celebratory LapThe current Nürburgring and Spa-Francorchamps lap record holders will take a lap of the Nordschleife together right before the race starts.READ NOW
- RELATEDPorsche 919 Hybrid Farewell Tour May Involve Nurburgring Lap RecordSporting a sleek carbon fiber body free of decals, Porsche's 919 Hybrid racer will go out with a bang.READ NOW