Watch This Porsche Cayman GT4 Almost Wreck Trying to Keep Up With a Tesla P90D
This Porsche was no match for the P100D's Ludicrous mode.
Porsche and Tesla are two brands that attract their own unique cult-like followings. Both automakers create unique, purpose-built cars, but this video shows that not even one of Porsche's most track-friendly models—the Cayman GT4—could hang onto a Model S P90D's bumper on the street.
Instagram user Teszila posted a video of his P90D doing a few pulls in front of the GT4. Each launch from the Tesla showed just how agile the all-wheel-drive electric car can be, and apparently in these circumstances, that meant it could out-handle a GT4. Though the Porsche is in an undeniably capable sports car, the driver behind the wheel couldn't keep it together while following the Tesla.
After the Tesla took a turn and sped off, the Cayman driver realized he or she couldn't hang. The driver lost control of the vehicle mid-corner and spun out, coming to rest next to a curb. Luckily nothing but the Porsche driver's pride was hurt.
The driver's Instagram biography states that he always drives his P90D in Ludicrous mode, which probably doesn't do wonders for his overall range. He also claims a 2.63-second 0-60 time and a 10.80-second quarter mile, which isn't far from what we've seen in the past. Regardless of which is faster, the video certainly shows that the driver mod is one of the most important things you can do to any car.
- RELATEDWatch This Ludicrous Plus Tesla Model S P100D Set a World RecordSporting the Ludicrous Plus upgrade, this P100D crosses the quarter mile in 10.72 seconds, setting a stock sedan record—and spanking a 640-horsepower Cadillac CTS-V in the process.READ NOW
- RELATEDTempers Flare After Tesla Model S P100D Dominates Eighth-Mile Drag Race ShowdownIt's internal combustion vs. electric power, and the good ol' boys aren't happy.READ NOW
- RELATEDTesla May Reduce Vehicle Power After Too Many Ludicrous Mode Engagements'Countergate' tests the limits of Tesla loyalists.READ NOW
- RELATEDTesla Model S P90D Ludicrous Quick ReviewCritic's Notebook takeaway: Tesla brings a machine gun to a pistol fight. But does it have enough bullets?READ NOW
- RELATEDTesla Model S P90D Ludicrous Proves Tesla Is the New AppleTraditional automotive brands should be very, very afraid.READ NOW