Best Plasma Cutters: Slice Through Metal Quickly and Easily
Cut or create your own metalworks with these high-quality plasma cutters
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links.Read more.
PUBLISHED ON October 12, 2019
Designed to cut through the thickest and toughest metals, plasma cutters are best suited for machine shops and heavy-duty construction. They rapidly heat up with compressed air or gas, and the arc torch is capable of reaching extremely hot temperatures. The small flame is then able to make a clean cut through tough metal and steel with ease. If you have a difficult job ahead of you and need a high-quality plasma cutter, consider one of these for your workshop.
- Best OverallLotos 50Amp Non-Touch Pilot Arc Plasma CutterSummarySummaryThis plasma cutter uses non-hazardous compressed air to cut through surfaces. Plus, the included pilot arc technology allows it to work without touching the tip to the metal.ProsProsIt produces minimal slag to reduce clean up. The included handle makes it convenient and simple to carry. It’s simple to set up and can function in one minute. Its max clean cut is a one-half inch.ConsConsSlag may stick to the tip, causing it to slow or stop until you clean it off. The compressed air line could be larger.
- Best ValueZeny DC Inverter Plasma CutterSummarySummaryA lightweight and easy-to-carry plasma cutter that cuts smoothly and effectively. Its max clean-cut thickness is just over ½ inch.ProsProsThe dual voltage option allows you to connect it to either 110V or 220V power source. It also comes with a pair of goggles to protect your eyes.ConsConsThe setup directions can be a hassle to understand. The air regulator is also not the best quality, which may weaken the arc’s power a bit.
- Honorable MentionCut-50, 50 Amp Pro Plasma CutterSummarySummaryThis plasma cutter includes a 50-amp digital air inverter to make precise cuts up to one-inch thick. It can slice through stainless steel, alloy steel, and copper aluminum like butter.ProsProsThe included gauge allows you to read and control the temperature more effectively. Plus, the voltage can adapt to 100V or 240V input.ConsConsIt is 31 pounds and on the heavier side, and the manual may be difficult to understand.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, and practical experience with each product we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
- Make sure the power source you are plugging the plasma cutter into can handle the machine. If not, you may end up tripping a breaker and shutting off the power.
- Wear protective eyewear to avoid any slag or other debris from getting in your eyes.
- Always wear a thick pair of gloves when operating the cutter. They will ensure your hands don’t get dangerously burned. Always use caution when operating it, and do not get your body close to the arc.
- It will get hot when operating a plasma cutter, so you will want to ensure you have someplace to cool down if you get overheated.
- Always make sure the plasma cutter is turned off when you are finished using it and any metal is removed from beneath the torch. The pilot arc will take time to cool down and may warp or bend the metal if it’s left unattended.
Q: What do I need for a plasma cutter to function?
A: You will need a reliable and functional air compressor and air hose to ensure the plasma cutter works properly. Many may not come with a plug for the air hose, so you will need to check with the manufacturer before buying a plasma cutter.
Q: How hot can a plasma cutter get?
A: Since it is made for cutting thick steel and metals, the pilot arc will reach extremely dangerous temperatures. Use caution when handling a plasma cutter as they can reach temperatures of up to 45,000 degrees Fahrenheit.
Q: How long will it take to cut a piece of metal?
A: It depends on what you are cutting and how you want to cut it. If you just need to slice one piece it shouldn’t take more than a few seconds. If you are making small precise cuts, then it can take a few minutes. Always work slowly and methodically to make sure you stay safe.
For one of the most powerful and precise plasma cutters, consider the Lotos 50Amp Non-Touch Pilot Arc Plasma Cutter.
You can get the Zeny DC Inverter Plasma Cutter, which provides a clean and smooth cut at a much cheaper price.