Couple Arrested After Toddler Allegedly Hands Police Bag of Marijuana During Routine Stop
The three-year-old is now staying with relatives while the two adults await a court date.
The New York State Police (NYSP) stopped a vehicle in the Albany County town of New Scotland last week where a three-year-old toddler handed one trooper a pouch containing marijuana while the driver of the vehicle was questioned by law enforcement. According to the state police, both adults in the car were arrested, charged, released, and currently awaiting a court date.
After pulling the car over, a State Trooper spotted marijuana remnants in the vehicle’s ashtray. He then interviewed Hill outside of the vehicle, while another trooper checked on a three-year-old girl who was purported to be restrained improperly in the back seat. During this time the state police allege that the toddler pulled a zippered pouch out from underneath the front seat, opened it, and showed it to the trooper. The contents of the bag were allegedly a bag of marijuana, a grinder, and a pipe both containing the illegal substance.
The driver, 26-year-old Scott Hill and passenger, 33-year-old Megan Karl were arrested and charged with endangering the welfare of a child. Hill received an additional charge of unlawful possession of marijuana. The allegedly encountered contraband was swiftly secured as evidence. The three-year-old girl, meanwhile, was handed over to relatives while Albany County Child Protective Services was informed of the incident and its subsequent charges.
Hill and Karl were arraigned in New Scotland’s Town Court, with the former released under Albany County Probation supervision and the latter released on her own recognizance. Both are scheduled to return to court at an unspecified date.
The Drive tried to contact the NYSP to confirm how or if the toddler was related to the driver or passenger of the vehicle but we were unable to reach them. Smoking marijuana in New York state and driving under its influence is illegal. The substance is, however, legal for recreational use in nine states, and medicinally legal and available in 30 states, according to Business Insider.
UPDATE 9/11/2018 5.40pm ET: The NYSP has confirmed that Megan Karl is the toddler's mother.
- RELATEDDrone-Piloting California Drug Dealers Sentenced to Years in PrisonBenjamin Baldasarre and Ashley Carroll were arrested for aerially delivering hard drugs to a local parking lot. They're now facing jail time.READ NOW
- RELATEDMost Americans Don't Think Marijuana Causes More CrashesHarris Poll for insurance group finds 60 percent of Americans think smoking pot is not contributing to more wrecks on U.S. roadways.READ NOW
- RELATEDTesla CEO Elon Musk Smokes Weed and Drinks Whiskey During Interview With Joe Rogan“I’m not a regular smoker of weed,” said Musk.READ NOW
- RELATEDBMW Dealership Employee Arrested for Poisoning Co-Worker's Water With Engine CoolantA Toronto man has been charged with attempted murder and administering a noxious substance.READ NOW
- RELATEDPrison Inmate Organized Country-Wide Drug Deliveries Into English Prisons via DroneHe had an intricate, organized syndicate for drug deliveries using UAVs while serving his own sentence.READ NOW