Formula Drift is Returning to Irwindale Speedway
The House of Drift has been playing with drift fans emotions, but Formula Drift has confirmed that the last race of 2018 will be at Irwindale.
Irwindale Speedway, affectionately known as the House of Drift, has played host to Formula Drift events for years since the series' infancy in 2003. Drift fans were told the final event in the 2017 season would be the final Formula Drift event at Irwindale Speedway before its closure. Irwindale was being demolished for redevelopment plans. The last day of operations was supposed to be Jan. 31, 2018, but in the off season a deal was made to keep both the speedway and the dragstrip at the location open.
This played with drift fans and drivers emotions, one day closed, the next day open. Before the news of Irwindales "resurrection," Formula Drift had already announced the 2018 schedule with a Las Vegas event planned as a Irwindale replacement. Knowing that Irwindale was not closing left Formula Drift fans and the drivers wanting to go back to Irwindale.
Formula Drift confirmed rumors that the series would be returning to Irwindale Speedway via a YouTube video which provided some nostalgic Irwindale race footage. Formula Drift President and Co-Founder James Liaw told me "With Irwindale Speedway being saved, we have chosen to go back to it, instead of having the finals in Las Vegas." The Irwindale race weekend will take place from Oct. 12 to Oct. 13, 2018, replacing the Las Vegas event.
- RELATEDHGK's E92 Eurofighter Unexpectedly Races at Formula Drift IrwindaleThe drift car which was meant for weekend show car duty ended up being HGK's secret weapon.READ NOW
- RELATEDFormula Drift Rulebook Changes for 2018Check out what's new to the competition this season.READ NOW
- RELATEDIrwindale Speedway to Shut Down After Nearly 20 YearsThe California race track will close on January 31, 2018.READ NOW
- RELATEDIrwindale Speedway Is Not Closing Down After AllScheduled for closure at the end of next month, California track confirms to The Drive that it's been granted a reprieve.READ NOW
- RELATEDTake a Look At a Formula Drift Toyota Supra Race EngineContinuing his off-season prep for the 2018 Formula Drift season, Dan Burkett breaks down his 2JZ Supra race engine.READ NOW