New Volkswagen Beetle Will Be Electric and Rear-Wheel Drive
A next-generation, rear-drive, EV punch buggy would sit on Volkswagen's MEB platform.
Despite rumors of its discontinuation earlier this year, a new report suggests that the Volkswagen Beetle may be back for another generation.
Speaking to Autocar, VW chairman Herbert Diess says the company is indeed considering a new, volt-powered Beetle. Sitting on the brand's electric MEB platform, the next-generation punch buggy would also apparently be rear-wheel drive, harking back to the original, rear-engine, rear-drive layout seen in the original People's Car in 1939. It'll also be closely related to the I.D. Buzz Microbus resurrection scheduled for 2022.
"The next decision on electric cars will be what kind of emotional concepts we need," says Diess. He goes on to define "emotional concepts" as cars such as the Microbus, Kübelwagen, and of course, Beetle—unconventional vehicles that bear strong historical significance to the brand. "If we wanted to do a Beetle, electrically it would be much better than today’s model, much closer to history, because it could be rear-wheel drive," adds Diess.
The original, WWII-era Beetle used a rear-mounted boxer-four and sent power exclusively to the back wheels. The Volkswagen bug's 21st-century incarnations, however, have all been front-engined, front-drive affairs so far.
While nothing is yet to be set in stone for the next Beetle, Diess says that the electric MEB platform is extremely flexible, suiting the needs for any potential "emotional concepts" well. "We have a good chance on the electric side. You can do derivatives efficiently. We have a very flexible platform. We can do nice things: rear-wheel drive, front-wheel drive, all-wheel drive."
- RELATEDVolkswagen Beetle, Scirocco Likely Axed Due to Dieselgate CostsTwo of VW's most storied nameplates may be the next casualties of the emissions-cheating scandal.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe 2016 Volkswagen Beetle Dune Cabrio: It’s About TimeNothing plucks at our heartstrings like a quirky, retro, convertible off-roader.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch Tanner Foust Drift His 544-Horsepower VW Beetle RallyCross Car Up a Mountain RoadIt might be a rallycross car, but that didn't stop Foust from claiming this public road as his own.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe VW I.D. Buzz Concept Is the Electric Microbus of TomorrowThe future looks an awful lot like an autonomous, battery-powered version of the past.READ NOW
- RELATEDVolkswagen Confirms it Will Build the I.D. Buzz in 2022Good news for all you VW bus lovers.READ NOW