Honda Creates Civic Type R-Inspired Lawn Mower, Lets The Haters Hate
Insert "Hondas are lawn mowers" joke here.
Good news for VTEC enthusiasts who also like to keep their lawns tidy, Honda has come out with a special edition of their Miimo robotic lawn mower—and before you comedians, memesters, and Honda-haters ask, it ain't this.
It does, however, look a heck of a lot like the new Civic Type R. The aptly named Miimo Type R sports the firm's signature Championship White paint, the new CTR's front and rear fascias shrunken and grafted on, red Honda badges, a massive carbon-wrapped spoiler, stainless steel triple-exit "exhaust" tips, and even faker grilles than the ones found on the real Type R. Its Nurburgring time is yet to be determined.
Honda Europe says that the Miimo Type R was made to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Type R brand—the first ever Honda to wear red badges was the 1992 NSX R—but we can't help but suspect that this is a slightly tongue-in-cheek nod to the brand's detractors who have made a hobby out of hilariously confusing one of their cars with lawn maintenance equipment.
Sort of like an outdoor Roomba, the Honda Miimo autonomously grooms your grass using onboard sensors and wire that can be installed either above or below the ground. In the event that the Miimo gets stolen, an alarm will be triggered and power will be cut, only able to be restarted with a user-specific passcode.
The original, non-Type R Miimo boasts five cutting modes: Random, Directional, Mixed, Spiral, and Edge. Whether or not the Miimo Type R inherits the new Civic's "+R" mode remains to be seen.
- RELATEDHonda Unleashes Miimo, a Robotic Lawn MowerHonda will launch a robotic lawnmower in the U.S. this summer.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe 2017 Honda Civic Type R Breaks the Front-Wheel Drive CurseHonda's newest halo car uses a mixture of magic and madness in the brilliant Type R.READ NOW
- RELATEDUnlucky Honda Civic Type R Owner Gets Rear-Ended Heading Home from DealerDo insurance payouts account for adjusted dealer markups?READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch Indy 500 Winner Alexander Rossi Do Burnouts in a Honda Civic Type RThe winner stopped by the Hoonigan garage to, well, hoon.READ NOW
- RELATEDA True Honda Expert's Take on the New Honda Civic Type RPSA to all Honda tuners: Spoon Sports begins 2017 Civic Type-R tuning and development.READ NOW