U.S. Air Force Museum's Gigapixel Panorama Is Aviation Awesomeness
Shot from inside the museum's recently-opened Hangar 4, the 1,030-megapixel image is almost like strolling around between the Space Shuttle, the SR-71 Blackbird, and the XB-70 Valkyrie.
With a drastic uptake in social media use and increased technology enabling incredible types of streaming video and innovative images, you don’t have to physically attend a museum to get an in-depth tour anymore. Instead, you can hop on the internet and enjoy all the museum has to offer from the comfort of your couch. (That being said, if you live near the museum, get up and go in person.)
For those of you who love aircraft but don’t live near Dayton, Ohio, there's the U.S. Air Force Museum's new, massive 1,030-megapixel picture of their fourth hanger for all to see. (We've embedded a couple screen grabs below, but you should really hit the link above to check it out.)
The picture is composed of 115 different images stitched together, and allow users to closely analyze famous aircraft like the SR-71 Blackbird, the X-15 rocket plane, and the XB-70 Valkyrie. Due to the size of the image, users can spend a significant period of time perusing the different cracks and crevasses of the vast hanger and checking out all the cool
The photo was taken with an automated rotating gimble by photographer John Opie and posted on Gigapan, and has been uploaded with high enough resolution that you can read the small text on even the most distant airplanes. And if the massive panorama isn't your thing, you can choose from one of 60 different 360-degree cockpit views.
Now we just hope they do the same with the Petersen Automotive Museum.
- RELATEDFamily Says Land Overlooking Area 51 Is Worth $116M—USAF Says $330kThe family with a view overlooking the secretive facility continues to battle with the USAF over just compensation for their seized land.READ NOW
- RELATEDUSAF Asks For Bids To Finally Replace Its Antique UH-1N HueysThe Air Force is making another attempt at replacing its Vietnam-era ballistic missile support and VIP helicopters.READ NOW
- RELATEDUSAF F-16s Deploy From Italy To The Horn Of Africa As Region SimmersVipers arrive in Djibouti as tensions rise near the Mandeb Strait and in South Sudan.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Name Of The USAF’s New B-21 Stealth Bomber Is…Northrop Grumman's B-21's name is unveiled by Air Force Secretary Deborah James.READ NOW
- RELATEDLook at Boeing’s Entry for the USAF’s New Jet Trainer CompetitionIt is the fourth and final entry for a winner-take-all clash among aerospace titans.READ NOW