Uber Gets Approval to Bring Autonomous Car Testing Back to California
Uber makes amends after getting kicked out of California for not having the right permit.
Uber is now officially allowed to test its autonomous cars on public California roads after being issued the correct permit to do so by the state, Automotive News reports. The permit groups Uber with the 26 other companies that the state gave the ability to test self-driving cars on open roads.
Uber previously battled with California regulators after the company failed to apply for the $150 permit the state requires for autonomous car testing. In December, the ride-hailing company argued that its cars weren't autonomous cars by California's definition because the vehicles had a human behind the wheel at all times for monitoring purposes. Because California refused to budge, Uber brought its self-driving vehicles to Arizona where there are less strict rules for self-driving cars.
The permit Uber now has in California allows the company to test only two of its self-driving vehicles, and for now, those cars won't be picking up passengers, Automotive News reports.
- RELATEDUber CEO Travis Kalanick Will Hire a COO to "Partner" With HimThe embattled executive recently admitted he needs leadership help—now he's listed some names of potential wish-list candidates.READ NOW
- RELATEDUber Says It Will Seek Self-Driving Car Permits in CaliforniaThe ride-sharing company will now obtain testing permits, instead of disregarding the permits altogether.READ NOW
- RELATEDUber Reportedly Worked Around Police Investigations With a Secret TrickThe system has been in place on the Uber app since at least 2014.READ NOW
- RELATEDIs Uber Blaming Customer Flight on an ex-Employee's Blog?Forget #DeleteUber, strike breaking, and its unhinged CEO—Uber says it's this blog that's killing Uber.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch Uber CEO Travis Kalanick Be a Massive Dick to His Uber Driver“Some people don't like to take responsibility for their own shit," Kalanick says to his driver. "They blame everything in their life on somebody else. Good luck!”READ NOW