LAST UPDATED: February 10, 2020
Best Bug Deflectors: Get Rid of Bugs From Your Car Windshield
A proper deflector guards your windshield against flying bugs and sediments
The Review Team
How We Decided
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
PUBLISHED ON February 10, 2020
A huge bug or stone can cause a lot of damage to your vehicle. Fortunately, there is a way to prevent these damages: a bug deflector. This accessory covers the front edge of your vehicle’s hood, protecting your vehicle from insects, stones, sediment, and other hazards when driving. That’s why we have reviewed the best three bug deflectors on the market for you.
This custom-molded and precision-engineered bug deflector is a perfect fit for the 2009-2018 Dodge Ram 1500 and 2019 Ram 1500 Classic. It features a wrap-around design for an enhanced look and aerodynamic appearance that provides improved performance and protection.
It is car wash-safe and its design allows for easy cleaning and waxing. Its impact-modified acrylic material is tear-proof to ensure maximum durability. The dark smoke finish provides a sleek appearance. Additionally, it is backed by a limited lifetime warranty.
It does not fit Dodge Rebel models. Some users complain about its screws being small.
Some users claim that it is hard to close the hood after installation of this accessory. It is also prone to vibrations when speeding on a windy day.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Bug Deflectors
- Offers protection. Bug shields offer protection from bugs, stones, and sand debris. Without this gadget installed, your car’s paint might suffer from stone damages and the windshield may break if hit by stones, especially during off-road adventures.
- Improves aerodynamics. A scientifically designed bug deflector is wind-tunneled to ensure a change in the airflow direction, which minimizes drag when driving. This ensures optimal speed while still saving on fuel consumption.
- Enhances appearance. A properly designed and well-fitted bug deflector covers the edges of the hood, enhancing the appearance of your vehicle. Also, some of these devices have an eye-catching finish such as matte black, dark smoke, or chrome coats that adds to the appearance of your hood.
Types of Bug Deflectors
Screw-On vs. Self-Adhesive Bug Deflector
Screw-on bug deflectors are those that come with installation screws. If this type of gadget is not corresponding to the screw holes available on your hood, you may have to drill some holes so that it can fit on your vehicle. On the other hand, self-adhesive bug deflectors come with a strong adhesive, such as 3M tape, to ensure it sticks perfectly on your vehicle. If you choose the self-adhesive bug deflector, make sure it is car wash safe to avoid coming off when your car is being washed.
Universal vs. Vehicle-Specific Bug Deflectors
Despite the fact that these gadgets are not entirely universal, there are those brands that can fit a variety of vehicles without requiring modification—the universal bug deflectors. On the other hand, there are vehicle-specific deflectors, which are made to fit just one model of a vehicle. When buying a deflector, it is always advisable to check if it fits your vehicle model.
Auto Ventshade is an internationally recognized company that was started in 1935 by Asa Phillips. The company started with a metal device that was installed above the car window and was used to keep rain and dust away while letting in the fresh air. More than 80 years later, the company is now a world force in making various automotive accessories such as vent visors, side window deflectors, hood protectors, light covers, moonroof deflectors, among other items. Among its best-selling bug deflectors is the Auto Ventshade 25033 Bugflector II Dark Smoke Hood Shield.
Lund is an internationally recognized company that manufactures and markets branded automotive products. It started in 1965 in Anoka, Minnesota, with the motive of providing stylish, innovative, affordable, protective, and highly functional automotive accessories in the world’s market. It is known for manufacturing the best side window deflectors, hood protectors, nerf bars and running boards, fender flares, tonneau covers, storage boxes, and toolboxes, among other accessories. Its leading bug deflector is the Lund International Smoke Colored Bugflector.
Razor Auto is an international family-owned company that was founded in 2012. This company strives to use the latest technology to manufacture innovative automotive products that are of top quality yet affordable. It deals with products such as mesh grille shells, handle covers, and gas door covers, among others. One of its best-selling bug deflectors is the Razer Auto Truck Front Air Deflector Triple Chrome Plated Hood Guard Bug Deflector.
Bug Deflector Pricing
- Under $40: In this price range, you can expect bug deflectors that will effectively protect your vehicle’s hood, windshield, and fenders from rocks and road debris. Most of them are backed by a lifetime warranty to confirm their long-lasting protection. However, they might not have a variety of fitments and may need some modifications during installation.
- Over $40: Here, you can expect custom-made and long-lasting bug deflectors that are backed by a lifetime warranty. Most of these deflectors are made of high-quality material such as impact-modified acrylic to ensure not only protection, but also enhanced appearance.
It is important to note that not all bug deflectors will fit on your vehicle. As such, it is advisable to go for ones that you are sure are made to perfectly fit on your hood. Always check the specifications fitment of the bug deflector you are about to buy to make sure it is the correct one for your car. If you fail to do this, you may be required to drill extra holes on your hood or order another deflector which can be very tedious and costly.
The construction of the bug deflector determines its effectiveness in protecting your hood paint and windshield from bugs, rocks, and other sediments. It also determines the durability of your bug deflector. Since you want maximum protection and durability, consider deflectors made of high-quality materials such as impact-modified acrylic to ensure enhanced protection and longevity.
Ease of Installation
To save money, you want to consider bug deflectors that you can install yourself. Even if you do need help with installation, it’s good to buy a deflector that does not require extra modification. Although some bug deflectors are specifically made for your car, they might require extra drilling for proper installation. To avoid the extra costs, go for the easy-to-fit models.
- Aerodynamic Appearance. Not all bug deflectors are designed in the same way. Therefore, you should look for those that are designed to improve the aerodynamics of your vehicle. Such bug deflectors ensure enhanced fuel economy by reducing the drag when driving. Apart from that, they deflect bugs effectively, while still enhancing the appearance of your car.
- Car Wash Safety. When buying a bug deflector that uses adhesive for installation, ensure that the glue used is car wash safe. You do not want a bug deflector that will always come off when you wash your car. Bug deflectors that are fixed permanently with rivets or screws are ensured to never come off in any condition.
- Color. Some people might not know this, but the color of the bug deflector is a very important aspect to consider. Ensure you go for a color that compliments the color of your hood. Remember, apart from protecting the paint and the windshield, the bug deflector is also supposed to improve the appearance of your car. Therefore, you do not want to go for a bug deflector that would make your drive look ridiculous.
Best Bug Deflector Reviews & Recommendations 2020
The 25045 bug deflector from Auto Ventshade is one of the best on the market. This accessory is designed and built to perfectly fit the 2009-2018 Dodge Ram 1500 and 2019 Ram 1500 Classic. It features a full height and wrap-around design for an easy and customized installation on your Dodge, ensuring effective protection from bugs, sediments, and stones. Additionally, its sleek design ensures improved appearance while enhancing the aerodynamics of your vehicle for enhanced performance and protection.
What makes this hood protector desirable is that it is car wash safe, allowing for easy cleaning and waxing without coming off. Also, it is made of impact-modified acrylic material that is wear-and-tear-proof to ensure maximum durability and added protection. The gadget features a dark smoke finish that provides a sleek appearance that makes your Dodge stand out from the crowd.
Although this bug deflector is made for many Dodge models, it does not fit the Dodge Rebel. Additionally, some users complain about the screws being small which prevents a secure tightening.
This is one of the most pocket-friendly bug deflectors you can find. It is designed and precision-engineered to fit 1997-2003 Ford F-150 and F-250, as well as the 1997-2002 Ford Expedition. Its construction features impact-modified acrylic material that is resistant to wear-and-tear, providing long-lasting protection for the hood, windshield, and fenders.
The advantage of this bug deflector is that it is proudly made in the USA, which means it is high-quality, efficient, and durable. Also, the accessory is car wash safe and is custom-made for a perfect and easy fitment. Its aerodynamic design not only enhances protection by redirecting bugs, but also saves fuel while still enhancing the looks of your vehicle.
What might put you a bit off on this deflector is that some users claim it is not a direct fitment, as it requires some modifications. Also, some say that its rivets are too small to hold it tightly, meaning you have to buy extra rivets.
As with all Auto Ventshade accessories, this is an outstanding and long-lasting bug deflector created for the 1999-2007 Ford F-250, F-350, F-450, F-550, and 2000-2005 Excursion models. Its aerodynamic design diverts air flow, protecting your windshield and hood from stones, bugs, and other hazards while still enhancing appearance and fuel economy. Its construction features durable impact-modified acrylic material for extensive usage, while its dark smoke finish provides an extra layer of beauty to your vehicle.
If you are looking for a bug deflector that will serve you for many years, you might want to consider this one. It is made in the USA and is backed by a lifetime warranty as an assurance to its durability. The gadget is also easily removable for stress-free washing and waxing. Also, this device does not require any modification when installing. Its installation is simple and takes just about 10 minutes. Additionally, it comes with several clear rubber bumpers for added hood protection.
Despite this gadget being one of the best bug deflectors by Auto Ventshade, some users claim that it is hard to close the hood after its installation. It is also prone to vibrations when driving in windy conditions.
- As much as deflectors prevent bugs, small rocks, and sand from damaging your windshield, they do not do much when it comes to big stone impacts that cause cracks. If you want to protect your hood, consider a clear bra.
- Ensure you check the design of the deflector before buying. A scientifically designed one is wind-tunnel tested to ensure a change in the airflow direction. This will deflect bugs efficiently and enhance fuel efficiency.
Q: How does a bug deflector work?
A: Most deflectors are made with a simple aerodynamic design where it changes the direction of the airflow. This effect hurls all the bugs and sediments out of the way, preventing your car from damage and excessive dirt.
Q: Are bug deflectors universal to all vehicles?
A: No, most bug deflectors are vehicle specific. Select the suitable deflector by vehicle year, make, and model to ensure you get the perfect fitment.
Q: Do bug deflectors affect gas mileage?
A: According to studies, bug deflectors reduce fuel consumption by 1-3 percent. However, to reduce fuel consumption, ensure you buy a deflector that is wind-tunnel tested and keep other factors constant. For example, make sure your tires are properly inflated.
The Auto Ventshade 25045 Bugflector II Dark Smoke Hood Shield is our top pick for the best bug deflector. This is because its design features strong material for enhanced protection and attractive looks.
For the best value, our pick is the Auto Ventshade 23454 Bugflector Dark Smoke Hood Shield. It offers added protection and is easy to install and durable.