Best Jeep Lift Kits: Improve Your Jeep’s Performance and Off-Road Capability
Boost your ride and cover more ground with these high-quality Jeep lift kits
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links.Read more.
PUBLISHED ON November 5, 2019
If you want to increase your Jeep’s performance, you can do so by upgrading a variety of its parts. One of the best things you can do is get a lift kit. It increases the clearance of the vehicle, giving you more room to drive over rocks, water, and tree stumps. Plus, it changes the overall appearance of your Jeep and makes it more appealing and rugged looking. Here are a few of the best lift kits to check out.
- Best OverallMotoFab Lifts 3” Full Lift KitSummarySummary
A sturdy and durable three-inch lift kit compatible with a number of Jeep Wranglers.ProsPros
It is designed out of high-grade steel with a black powder coat finish. It can be installed yourself with its bolt-on system, and it makes your Jeep stand out.ConsCons
The instructions can be difficult, and installing the lift kit can be time-consuming.
- Best ValueTrueTwo Jeep Wrangler 2.5” Coil Spacer Suspension Lift KitSummarySummary
A nicely priced budget Jeep Wrangler JK lift kit designed out of tough polyurethane material.ProsPros
Installation is easy if you use instructional videos. It can be put on with or without stock insulators, and it provides a maximum 2.5-inch lift.ConsCons
The end result may be a bit stiff and rough as it is not a full suspension lift, and it only fits the JK model Jeep.
- Honorable MentionRough Country 2.5” Suspension Lift KitSummarySummary
A high-performance lift kit for both the front and rear of the vehicle that fits 2007-2018 Jeep Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited JKs.ProsPros
It increases ground clearance, can be installed by yourself, enhances how the Jeep looks and rides, and adds 2.5 inches of lift.ConsCons
Rubbing may occur with extreme articulation if you have 35-inch tires, and the instructions can be difficult to understand.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, and practical experience with each product we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Jeep Lift Kits
- Increased off-road capability. A lot of Jeep owners take pride in their vehicles’ off-road prowess. A lift kit will give the Jeep an even greater ability to climb steep inclines and traverse jagged rock gardens.
- Durability. Some lift kits are built to such high standards that the components can actually add to your Jeep’s durability. Over-built parts can create a tougher platform for your off-road build.
- Appearance. Jeep owners are all about customization. A lift kit allows a Jeep to be fitted with larger wheels and tires, which can change the look of the Jeep completely.
Types of Jeep Lift Kits
A body lift consists of parts that you fit between the cab of your Jeep and the frame. Hard rubber or polyurethane bushings would be sandwiched between the body and the frame at all the body-mount locations. The result is greater tire clearance and the appearance of a lift. They do not affect the suspension at all, but can be used to fit bigger tires on a vehicle.
If you look closely at most vehicles, you’ll see that the front of the vehicle appears to sit lower than the rear. Many times, this means that the rear of the vehicle can fit larger tires, but the front end does not have the clearance. A leveling kit can remedy this by lifting only the front end of the Jeep to match the height of the rear of the vehicle.
Suspension lifts are the high-performance lift upgrade for a Jeep. These kits often come with new shocks, coils, frame components, swaybars, and even steering parts if the lift is severe enough. These kits are the most expensive of the lift kit types, but they provide the ability to truly dial in your Jeep’s off-road worthiness.
Skyjacker Suspension has been around for over 40 years. They’ve made quality off-road products since the company’s inception. Based in West Monroe, Louisiana, they produce Jeep components like this Jeep Steering Stabilizer Kit.
Rough Country Suspension
You don’t have to be around off-road vehicles long before you become familiar with the Rough Country brand. This Dyersburg, Tennessee, company manufactures heavy-duty off-road rigs for all types of vehicles, including this Jeep 2.5" Lift Kit.
Anyone familiar with cars knows the Mopar name. Considering the company has been around since the 1930s, anyone looking at lift kits should think about checking out Mopar’s Jeep parts, like this Jeep Carrier Kit, built for oversized tires.
Jeep Lift Kit Pricing
- Up to $100: Kits in this range are usually appearance-oriented and include body lifts and leveling kits to allow for bigger tires with minimal suspension modification.
- $100 to $500: This price range is where you’ll start to see kits with actual off-road engineering. Coil spacers and suspension lifts are common here.
- $500 and up: This tier includes light-duty suspension lifts all the way to complete off-road outfits. These kits come fully equipped to get your Jeep off the pavement.
Ease of Install
Some lift kits are very basic while others are more complex. Depending on whether or not you’re going to do your own install, this is something to consider. If you’re on a budget, you might think the cheapest kit is the way to go, but a pricier kit that you can install yourself will save you on shop labor.
There are kits that level, there are kits that lift, and there are kits that do both. Make sure whatever kit you choose will give you the exact look that you want. There are many kits on the market, so finding one that gives your Jeep that perfect stance shouldn’t be hard to find.
Having a company’s guarantee behind their product can be priceless. Considering a lot of people lifting their Jeeps are doing so to improve off-road performance, rough terrain and sticky situations are inevitable. Those conditions can break inferior components, and knowing a company stands by their product gives you peace of mind.
- Quality of Construction. There are many lift kits available for Jeeps, and some just aren’t up to snuff. It’s important to know the quality of the kit you’re buying so you don’t end up with poor fitment or cheap parts.
- Heavy-Duty Use. If your Jeep is going to see heavy off-road use, you’re going to want to buy a comprehensive suspension lift. Although you may be able to fit larger tires on a body lift or coil spacer kit, they do nothing to increase your suspension travel and you may just end up stuck in the middle of a trail with no way to get out.
Best Jeep Lift Kit Reviews & Recommendations 2020
Best Overall: MotoFab Lifts 3" Full Lift Kit
Our pick for the Best Jeep Lift Kit Overall is the MotoFab Lifts 3” Full Lift Kit. This bolt-on kit provides the most clearance out of all our picks and is built to fit several types of Wranglers. The shock extenders allow your Jeep to clear 35-inch tires.
There are quite a few things that we like about the MotoFab kit. For one, the kit is completely bolt-on, so a driveway mechanic should be able to install it without much issue. The additional half-inch of lift that this kit provides over our other choices will come in handy off-road. We also like the durable powder-coated finish the components come in.
There are some sticking points to consider. For one, familiarize yourself with the directions before you dive in. Some users state they’re difficult to understand. Also, make sure you have some time set aside to get the job done, as it could take you a while.
Our value pick for the Best Jeep Lift Kit is the TrueTwo Jeep Wrangler Coil Spacer Suspension Lift Kit. As the name suggests, this is a coil spacer kit designed for easy install and fast aesthetic improvement. It can provide 2 inches of lift without factory isolators, and 2.5 inches with them.
At this price, we really like the TrueTwo kit. For one, it installs pretty easily, although it is recommended that you use the video instructions as your guide. We also like that this is a really fast way to get 2.5 inches of additional clearance onto your Jeep, making it look cool and allowing for bigger tires.
As with all things, there are some drawbacks. The TrueTwo kit is a coil spacer system, which means it’s going to take some of the plushness of your suspension and throw it out the window. Not only will your comfort level decrease during daily driving, but you may also find the reduction in suspension travel jarring off-road.
Honorable Mention: Rough Country 2.5" Suspension Lift Kit
The list is not complete without an honorable mention, and Rough Country’s Suspension Lift Kit deserves ours. This comprehensive, high-performance kit comes with everything you need for a mild lift with some actual off-road pedigree.
This kit checks a lot of boxes. It increases ride height and ground clearance, it’s possible to install the kit yourself, and it allows for bigger tires. Those are all things we really like. This kit is also complete with components that will give your Jeep real off-road chops.
There’s a couple of reasons why this kit is the honorable mention instead of the top pick. For one, this kit only provides 2.5 inches of lift, so many users have had rubbing issues when they fit 35-inch tires on their Jeeps. An additional half-inch of clearance may have solved that. On top of that, this kit comes with a lot of parts and the directions aren’t as clear as we would have liked them to be.
- Align your wheels after installing a lift kit to ensure a more smooth and comfortable ride without harming the tires.
- While many lift kits, such as body lifts, can be installed by yourself, you may want to use a professional to install a suspension or level lift kit. Many may require complex tools or need to be welded in place.
- If you have trouble installing a lift kit by yourself, watch instructional videos online to make sure you do it safely and correctly.
Q: Will installing larger tires with a new lift kit affect the ride?
A: Yes, larger tires will change how the Jeep handles both on and off the road. You may notice the tires rubbing against the wheel well after installation during tight corners or turns. You will also get an increased amount of road noise on the highway.
Q: Will installing a lift kit void the Jeep’s warranty?
A: The installation of a lift kit may void the warranty on the vehicle since it is considered a physical alteration. Check with the manufacturer to see what it says about installing lift kits. If you are worried, it may be best to wait until the coverage has ended.
Q: Is a lift kit compatible with all Jeeps?
A: Not all lift kits will fit on every Jeep model. They are designed to work on a few models or one in particular. Research the make and model of your Jeep and compare it with the lift kit you are interested in to see if they are compatible.
For one of the best Jeep lift kits to enhance the look and ride of your Jeep, consider the MotoFab Lifts 3” Full Lift Kit.
Our budget choice, the TrueTwo Jeep Wrangler 2.5” Coil Spacer Suspension Lift Kit, gives you more ground clearance at a lower price.