California Dealer Wants Some Turkey to Pay $186K for a 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500
That's $80,000 over MSRP.
One California Ford dealer is practicing the time-honored tradition of tacking on larger-than-life markups on brand-new vehicles. This time, the subject is a brand-spanking-new 2020 Mustang Shelby GT500 that's been marked up to $185,890 by Fritts Ford in Riverside, California.
Markups aren’t all that uncommon for hotly-anticipated rides, but they understandably generate a wave of buyer outrage every time. In this year alone we’ve seen dealers jacking up prices on the Toyota Supra, Jeep Gladiator, and even a $115,000 Subaru STI— but Fritts Ford’s $80,000 markup makes those look rather insignificant.
Markup aside, the GT500 in question actually is loaded to the gills with add-ons that rack up a $105,890 MSRP. The carbon fiber and technology packages add $18,500 and $3,000 to the car’s bottom line, while the painted racing stripes add a further $10,000 to the sticker. Yes, it’s a cool paint combination that we aren’t likely to see very often, but is it $21,500 cool? You be the judge. And if you say yes, would you pay an additional $80k to "earn the right" to buy it? We think it's a tough pill to swallow.
Someone may step up to pay that price, but the outrageous markup seems a bit silly for a car that isn’t particularly limited but only hard to get if you need/want one right now. Making matters worse, there appear to be visible scratches on the Mustang’s hood—that’s not a great look for a $30,000 car, let alone one that will easily cost $200,000 after taxes and fees. The Drive contacted the dealer but was not able to reach a sales manager for comment.
h/t: The Mustang Source
Got a tip? Send us a note: firstname.lastname@example.org
- RELATEDThis Could Be The Most Expensive Ford Mustang EverDriven—and jumped—by Ken Miles himself.READ NOW
- RELATEDDetroit Drag Race Features Chevy Camaro ZL1, Challenger Hellcat Redeye, Ford Mustang Shelby GT500This one's for all the bragging rights.READ NOW
- RELATEDFord Denies 2020 Mustang Shelby GT500 Damaged In Carrier Crash Was for Ford Family Member (UPDATE)Things just went from bad to worse for that poor truck driver.READ NOW
- RELATEDDealership Tacks On $50,000 Markup for a 2019 Subaru WRX STI S209That means you'll need $115,750 to walk away with this Subie.READ NOW
- RELATEDFlorida Toyota Dealer Selling 2020 Supra With Outrageous $40,000 MarkupAn Al Hendrickson Toyota salesperson confirmed to us that it's most definitely charging a fully-loaded Camry's worth over the Supra's MSRP.READ NOW