Hyundai and Genesis Will Cover 6 Months of Car Payments If You Lose Your Job to Coronavirus
This unexpected perk only applies to those who lease or finance between now and April 30.
Finally bringing some positive car news to the fold as a result of coronavirus, Hyundai and luxury arm Genesis have announced that they will cover up to six months worth of car payments for new owners who find themselves unexpectedly unemployed this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
To be clear, this only applies to folks who lease or finance a new car through Hyundai Capital or Genesis Finance from March 14—the day the program was announced—through April 30 and lose their jobs involuntarily. Meaning, no, it doesn't count if you were going to quit or retire anyways. Anyone who acquired a new Hyundai before Saturday will, unfortunately, also be out of luck, making this less of a charitable campaign that benefits existing customers but rather a thinly-veiled, 45-day promotion designed to attract new ones.
At the end of the day, Hyundai Motor America is a business and we can't fault it too much for extending a lifeline to new clients in these uncertain times. To be fair, this isn't the first time Hyundai has offered financial relief to customers hit by global catastrophes. After the 2008 financial crisis, the Korean automaker allowed customers to return their cars if they lost their job.
Regardless of the technicalities, it's just nice to report on positive coronavirus-related news for a change. In the spirit of offering bonus content people didn't expect, here's a teaser of the upcoming, redesigned 2021 Elantra if you haven't seen it yet. Now, go wash your hands.
Got a tip? Send us a note: email@example.com
- RELATEDUS Car Production Is Fine for Now Amid Coronavirus, but Experts Predict a Big Sales DropToday on Speed Lines: We're also talking about making semi-autonomous technology safer.READ NOW
- RELATEDApril's New York Auto Show Punted to August Over CoronavirusYou had to have known this would happen.READ NOW
- RELATEDEnthusiast-Friendly Genesis G70 Wagon Could Be Coming in 2021: ReportOh, please let it be a manual!READ NOW
- RELATED2021 Genesis G80 Finally Stands Out With a Sharp Face and Fastback SilhouetteKorea's new mid-size luxury sedan takes little from others and is better for it.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Sublime Hyundai Prophecy Concept Predicts a Future of Sleek Electric CarsSome of its features will be coming to production vehicles soon.READ NOW