MotorTrend has unleashed a flurry of posts across social media, all alluding to the possibility that it might have images of what could maybe be something that is, or related to, the Apple Car. Rumors and speculation about the tech giant's first foray into the automotive sphere are a near constant at this point, and usually highly speculative.
M/T is being very deliberate (hedging?) with its wording, leaving each teaser headline as a question. ("Is THIS the Apple Car?" and "What do we have here?" and etcetera). Apple is yet to confirm that it is working on a car, so it's unlikely that genuine design sketches -- at least of any significance -- have been leaked deliberately. The most (apparently) revealing photo from M/T is this:
With the eyes of every major publication, from tech to business to politics, scrutinizing Apple, it seems unlikely that an automotive publication, even an industry stalwart like M/T, would happen upon a genuine leak. Also, it’s worth pointing out that the M/T post above looks very similar to a fake “Apple iCar” video that’s been circulating around the web:
- RELATEDApple Car’s Tech Bros Are Bad NeighborsWhat’s that racket? Could it be… the future?READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Apple Car Project Hit With Potential SetbacksTech giant’s secret new car struggling with ambitious deadlines.READ NOW
- RELATEDBeyond John Krafcik: We Have Some Suggestions for Google’s Autonomous Car CzarLet’s think outside the spatially aware rolling box. Let’s think, actually, about rolling papers.READ NOW
- RELATEDGoogle Adds a Dedicated Ride-Sharing Tab to MapsGoogle Maps becomes even more useful, puts Uber front and center in the US and adds additional options in five other countries.READ NOW
- RELATEDFeds Say Google’s Driverless Car Software Is a DriverNHTSA looks up the word “driver,” shrugs, then makes up its own definition.READ NOW