Florida Man Arrested After Praising the Lord While Highway-Surfing His Cadillac
The 70-year-old said he'd "rather go to jail than go back home" to his supposedly demanding wife.
State troopers recently arrested a Florida man who was caught trying to live out his Titanic movie fantasies and make his heart go on atop a moving vehicle. Local news affiliates report that authorities arrested Leonard Olsen, 70, after an off-duty deputy for the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Department caught him on video, attempting to “surf” his Cadillac while traveling on the highway with cruise control enabled.
The deputy first noticed Olsen’s Cadillac doing more than 100 miles per hour when it abruptly slowed down to just 40 mph. Then, Olsen supposedly opened the sunroof and propped himself up on top of his moving car while traveling on Interstate 4 in the westbound lane. This prompted the officer to begin recording video on his smartphone.
Following the event, the deputy called in for on-duty reinforcements, to which Florida Highway Patrol responded. Olsen was pulled over just a few minutes later at the intersection of US-98 and Wedgewood Estates Boulevard.
“I thought it would be a nice way to praise God for a minute, and I thought it would be nice at the time and that’s what I did,” Olsen supposedly said in his testimony, according to the Florida Highway Patrol’s arrest report.
When Olsen was apprehended, he was quoted saying that he’d rather go to jail than go back to his home.
“My wife treats me like a servant and she’s the mistress,” Olsen continued. “Lock me up, I’d rather go to jail than go back home.”
Olsen was charged with reckless driving and booked at Polk County Jail with a $21,000 bond.
- RELATEDFlorida Man Arrested for Stealing Police Cruiser and Leading Cops on High-Speed ChaseThe thief also attempted to run over officers and paramedics as he took off in the stolen cop car.READ NOW
- RELATEDFlorida Man Caught FaceTiming High-Speed Pursuit While Traveling 110 MPHThe man is an apparent repeat and habitual traffic offender with a laundry list of previous charges, but this takes the cake.READ NOW
- RELATEDHalf-Naked Florida Man Tries to Steal Ford Fiesta, Gets Bat to the Face From Feisty GrandmaCocaine-high Florida man feels the wrath of angry-as-hell Florida woman. Pi-yow!READ NOW
- RELATEDFlorida Man Arrested After Violently Crashing Tesla Model S Into Infiniti SUV at 128 MPHEven after the Tesla split the Infiniti nearly in half, the Model S driver's attorney blamed the accident on the road's 'poor design.'READ NOW
- RELATEDFerrari-Driving Florida Man Lies to Cop About Speeding, 'Girlfriend' Passenger Gives Him AwayKeep your friends close and your passengers even closer.READ NOW