California Driver Intentionally Crashes Into and Injures 8 Pedestrians, FBI Now Involved: Report
"We have preliminary evidence from witnesses that he was accelerating, doesn't look like he tried to brake at all," said Sunnyvale DPS.
Eight people were injured and sent to the hospital Tuesday night in Sunnyvale, California after a driver crashed into them. While the incident is currently under investigation, police believe it was a deliberate act, reports NBC Bay Area.
It happened around 6:40 p.m. local time at the intersection of El Camino Real and Sunnyvale Saratoga Road, an area filled with restaurants, retail stores, and other places of business. Sunnyvale Department of Public Safety Captain Jim Choi said the yet-to-be-named man behind the wheel is currently in custody and due to "initial statements made at the scene," officials are investigating the incident as intentional.
"We have preliminary evidence from witnesses that he was accelerating, doesn't look like he tried to brake at all," said Choi.
The car reportedly plowed through the victims' belongings and bicycles before crashing into a tree. The conditions of the victims remain unknown at this time. However, the Sunnyvale Department of Public Safety plans on holding a press conference this afternoon and we'll be sure to update this story accordingly.
As a result of the crash, westbound lanes of El Camino Real were shut down for several hours while Sunnyvale Avenue was closed between El Camino Real and Old San Francisco until 8 a.m. Wednesday morning.
The FBI has apparently gotten involved in assisting Sunnyvale police with the investigation.
"Should it be determined that a federal crime was committed, we will become more involved," the bureau said in a statement.
- RELATEDCadillac Driver Plunges Through Bike Bridge on Mountainside Pedestrian TrailIf you can't drive your car across a bridge without folding the mirrors, chances are you shouldn't be driving there.READ NOW
- RELATEDNYPD Searching for Dodge Challenger Driver Who Violently Hit 14-Year-Old, Fled the SceneA video of the crash shows the Challenger launch the 14-year-old girl almost 20 feet from the point of impact.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch a Hit-and-Run Driver in a Nissan Altima Crash Fleeing a Chevy Camaro SSShe hit the wrong car.READ NOW
- RELATEDFlorida Is the Most Dangerous State for Pedestrians, Study FindsOverall pedestrian deaths in the US are up 35.4 percent from 2008 to 2017, leaving nearly 50,000 dead last decade.READ NOW
- RELATEDOhio Man Drifts Just-Bought Pontiac G8 Into Pole, Sends Himself and His 2 Kids to HospitalThe casualties: three hospitalized, one ego bruised, and one rare Pontiac G8 GT gone from this world.READ NOW