Watch This Daring Race Track Worker Take a Corner Too Fast, Flip a Sweeper on Its Side
They didn't have the equipment to challenge Takuma Sato's IndyCar pole time at Barber Motorsports Park, but that didn't stop them from trying.
An employee of Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham, Alabama was caught on camera pushing his street sweeper beyond the limit, causing the vehicle to flop onto its side mid-corner.
According to Reddit user AVCmb, the as-of-yet unidentified track worker was making a lap of the circuit between track sessions involving Formula 3 and Global Mazda MX-5 Cup racers. Both series are serving as support events for this weekend's IndyCar race, the Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama, the third of 17 this season. Another user claimed that during the lap, this track worker seemed to be trying to race another worker, also in a sweeper, but they got seriously unlucky and rolled their vehicle.
"There were two sweeper trucks, and it appeared like they were trying to race around the corner," said Reddit user FustangMastback. "This guy just took the wrong line and flopped over."
A short video of the incident was posted by NBC Sports IndyCar pundit Anders Krohn to Twitter. This clip seems to show the track worker taking a wide line of entry into the corner, but getting some oversteer that pulls the sweeper's rear end off the track. An attempt at correction either was not made or failed and over went the sweeper.
"It didn't look too bad until they drove off, cab was pushed over at an angle," commented Reddit user AVCmb.
Photos of the cleanup show that the sweeper was hauled away on a flatbed, and its driver presumably in the rapid medical response vehicle. There is no word as of yet regarding the driver's status, though we have reached out to both IndyCar and Barber for a statement on their condition. We will update when we receive comment.
- RELATEDHow Marcus Ericsson Swerved From Formula One to IndyCarAnother F1 driver makes the switch from the cutting edge to the raucous American open-wheel series. Does that 14-second deficit tell the whole story?READ NOW
- RELATEDIndyCar 14 Seconds Slower Per Lap Than Formula 1 Around Circuit of The AmericasRookie Colton Herta's lap times may not be the best representation of an Indy car's performance around COTA, but it's all we have until March.READ NOW
- RELATEDTakuma Sato's Most Memorable Moments Before His Indy 500 WinLet's look back at the highlights of Takumo Sato's career.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch a 2019 Mercedes-AMG G 63 Play Tug of War Against Three Suzuki JimnysThree Davids versus Goliath.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch a Porsche 911 GT2 RS Dance Around Road Atlanta, Set the Production Car Lap RecordSay what you want, but calling a Porsche 911 GT2 RS a "production car" is like calling Godzilla "just a lizard."READ NOW