Yahoo Autos Is Being Shut Down
A highly-respected member of Internet automotive media bows out.
Yahoo has announced that it will shutter the Yahoo Autos digital magazine as part of a corporate slimming-down plan. In addition to closing its cars section, Yahoo will discontinue six other verticals, including Yahoo Travel, Yahoo Food, Yahoo Health and Yahoo Real Estate. An earlier report by Capital New York indicated that Yahoo Tech would also be killed off, a claim that has since been discredited by a Yahoo spokesperson, according to Business Insider; instead, the tech blog will reportedly be integrated into the news department’s umbrella.
“On our recent earnings call, Yahoo outlined out a plan to simplify our business and focus our effort on our four most successful content areas–News, Sports, Finance and Lifestyle,” Yahoo global editor-in-chief Martha Nelson said in a Tumblr post. “We acknowledge the talent and dedication of an extraordinary group of journalists who brought new and newsworthy content to Yahoo.”
The automotive journalism world is a tight-knit group; many of us at The Drive not only know staffers and contributors at Yahoo Autos, but count them among our closest friends. We’ve driven with them on amazing roads, shared drinks and laughs with them at auto shows. The Internet lost a quality publication today. We wish everyone from Yahoo Autos the best.
- RELATEDNASA’s Giving Away Brilliant Space Travel Posters For FreeThese WPA-style artworks from NASA’s design studio are wonderful. And they’re free, too.READ NOW
- RELATEDMario Andretti and the Brutal Magic of MonzaTriumph and death at Italy’s most famous racetrack.READ NOW
- RELATED10 Killer Classics for Under $12,000Small prices, huge upside.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe California “Junkyard Dog” That Beat the ExoticsThe O.G. Old Yeller parks at the Petersen.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Google Car Is a HoaxImminent deals with carmakers put Silicon Valley’s favorite jellybean in the pantry—for good.READ NOW