50th Anniversary Chevy Corvette 24 Hours of Le Mans Safety Car Going to Auction
Amazing thing is, this 'Vette is expected to only go for $25,000–$30,000.
The Chevrolet Corvette has always been a fan favorite among many car nuts‚especially the American sports car enthusiasts. The famous model has been around since 1953, selling like gangbusters for much of that time frame. Chevy has done a fantastic job of bringing that fame even across the globe to places like western France, where the 24 Hours of Le Mans is held.
In 2003, the Corvette was celebrating its 50th anniversary, as well as coming off its second win in a row at the 24 Hour of Le Mans. So it isn't surprising to hear Automobile Club de l'Ouest selected the Corvette to be the official Pace and Safety Car for the 24 Hours of Le Mans that year.
Chevy quickly sent over a total of six Corvettes to western France to meet their needs. Two cars would be used as pace cars while the other four were designated as safety cars. Now, one of those siren red safety cars is going going up for auction.
Equipped with a roll cage, warning lights, safety harness, decals, and everything else your fully decked-out safety car is expected to have, we are excited to see this thing hit the auction block. Back in 2003 the Chevy Corvette was powered by a 5.7-liter V8 making 350 horsepower—and thanks to meticulous care by GM's Heritage Collection staff and the current owner, we don't expect much power depreciation, so to speak.
The beautiful car is set to hit the auction blocks this weekend in Auburn Springs, Indiana and is supposed to go for between $25,000 and $30,000. That really doesn't seem like a lot for such a cool car...but who knows what the final number will be.
- RELATEDThis Classic Film Documents McLaren's Pursuit of Perfection at Le MansHere's your dose of vintage motorsport.READ NOW
- RELATEDHow to Get a 10 Percent Discount on a 2017 Chevrolet CorvetteChevy is back at it again with the cheap 'Vettes.READ NOW
- RELATEDChevy Corvette Grand Sport to Pace 2017 Indianapolis 500As always, the honor includes one classy paint job.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis Infographic Comparing the 1987 Corvette to the 2017 Corvette Is FascinatingOne takeaway: The 2017 Corvette is cheaper than the 1987 Corvette when adjusted for inflation.READ NOW
- RELATED2018 Chevrolet Corvette Carbon 65 Edition Is One Hell of an Anniversary PresentWhat do you get an American icon for its 65th birthday? Carbon fiber.READ NOW