Jaguar Has Amazing Plans for the F-Pace
How does a supercharged V8 engine sound to you?
The Jaguar F-Pace hasn't even reached showrooms yet, but the car maker is reportedly already hard at work on a version of their new SUV that will put all the other ones to shame. Envision an extra-sporty version of the F-Pace that packs a supercharged V8 engine beneath its contoured hood, and you're moving in the right direction.
According to Car and Driver, Jaguar's Special Vehicle Operations division is cranking away on a performance version of the F-Pace that will make more than 500 horsepower, thanks to the blown 5.0-liter, eight-cylinder engine found in everything from the F-Type R to the Range Rover Autobiography. Considering every one of its major competitors—cars like the BMW X4 M40i, Porsche Macan Turbo, and Mercedes-AMG GLC43—packs a forced-induction six-cylinder, Jaguar appears intent on bringing a Desert Eagle to a knife fight.
Prototypes of the F-Pace SVR (as such an SUV would likely be called) are purportedly already running around, presumably in super-secret testing locations where Jaguar's employees can properly hoon test the superpowered sport-ute. If given the green light for production, the speedy F-Pace supposedly could be on sale by 2017.
Of course, assuming the V8-powered F-Pace becomes a thing, it wouldn't remain the uncontested king of the small SUV hill for long. Mercedes-Benz is reportedly working on a GLC63 AMG that packs the same 4.0 liter twin-turbo V8 and nine-speed transmission as the next E63 AMG. Audi is supposedly developing an RS Q5 that would likely pick up the turbocharged eight-pot shared amongst the S6, S7, S8 Plus, and RS7. And if those two are going all-in on compact performance sport-utes, BMW likely won't be far behind with an X3 M or X4 M.
- RELATEDIf the F-Pace Sucks, Jaguar Is DeadThe brand is at a crossroads. Can this new crossover can save it?READ NOW
- RELATEDMight Jaguar F-Pace Go Electric?SUV could get big wattage, report suggests.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire: Jaguar Set to Unleash High Powered F-Type SVRREAD NOW
- RELATEDBehind The Wheel of All-Time Great Mercedes, Jaguars, and BMWsMy friend said, “hop in,” so I did. I always do.READ NOW
- RELATEDFive Things You Could Buy Instead of a Jaguar F-Type SVRNot that you would. But you could.READ NOW