Plug-In Hybrid Jeep Wrangler Confirmed for 2020
Would you take a plug-in Wrangler off road?
More official light is being shed on the 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL which has been one of the most heavily rumored cars of the past year. The latest revelation about the iconic off-roader is that the JL will receive a plug-in hybrid variant in 2020.
Right now, the only plug-in hybrid vehicle from Jeep parent company Fiat Chrysler Automobiles is the Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid. Being a minivan, the Pacifica has a nice big floor where it can hide its battery. The Wrangler doesn’t have that luxury and the folks at Jeep will have to come up with some trickery for hiding that battery.
That being said, the plug-in hybrid system in the Wrangler could be entirely different from the one in the Pacifica. We don’t have a lot of details yet as Jeep as announced little more than the fact that the hybrid is happening. Jeep is not even sure if it will arrive for the 2020 model year or the 2020 calendar year according to Motor Trend.
It’s worth noting that this will be different from the mild hybrid system in the turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-four variant with “eTorque.” eTorque is a set of features that boost fuel economy like auto stop.start, electric power assist, extended fuel shut-off, transmission shift management, intelligent battery charging, and regenerative braking.
The big question on our mind is: Will the plug-in hybrid version still be four-wheel drive? Will it still retain the same off-road chops that the Wrangler is famous for? We have a feeling the short answer is “yes” because if that weren’t the case, Jeep would probably take its hybrid drivetrain elsewhere like the Compass or the Cherokee.
Would you consider a plug-in hybrid Jeep Wrangler or is plug-in hybrid tech best left to commuters and family cars rather than off-roaders? Let us know in the comments section.
- RELATEDDrive Wire: Coming Soon: A Hybrid Jeep WranglerREAD NOW
- RELATEDImages and "Video" of the 2018 Jeep Wrangler Are Finally HereStop what you are doing and gaze into the round eyes of the 2018 Jeep Wrangler.READ NOW
- RELATED2019 Jeep Wrangler Pickup Truck to Feature Convertible Soft Top, Report SaysHaul a load with the wind in your hair in what could be the industry's only convertible pickup truck.READ NOW
- RELATEDHere's What the All-New Interior Looks Like in the 2018 Jeep WranglerModern and mudproof - a winning combination.READ NOW
- RELATEDOrdering for Dealers Is Open for the 2018 Jeep Wrangler UnlimitedThe official unveiling for the JL Wrangler is coming next month.READ NOW